PDA

View Full Version : Biocube 16 Chamber Setup

BranFlake242005
12/05/2017, 11:37 AM
So, my Biocube 16 just came in. I don’t even have water in it yet, but I want to make sure I have my filtration & everything in the back setup right. I've seen a lot on the Biocube 14, but not much on the 16...not sure if this even treally matters. I plan to put in live sand/live rock. Have a few soft corals and 3 fish eventually (I know it’s a process and I’m taking it slow). My tank came with the biocube protein skimmer. So here are my questions:
1. Can I use the Biocube filters that came with it (or should I)?
2. From what I can tell, the center chamber seems like a media basket on its own. I’ve seen a lot about getting an inTank media basket. Is this something I really need to do?
3. If I don’t get the intank media basket, how would you setup the middle chamber?
Finally, any ideas on how you would setup all 3 chambers would be great! Thanks everyone! I’m a newb.

bbestvin
12/05/2017, 12:25 PM
Hi there,
Congrats on getting a Biocube! I have a 29 and I love it. It was my first saltwater tank and now I'm setting up full saltwater systems as a result. Anything you see on the 14 applies to the 16, the tank is just a little taller. That being said, this is what I would recommend.

1) Nope, ditch the Biocube filters.
2) You don't NEED to get an intank media basket...but it is easier. You can make one yourself out of eggcrate to save some money, but it's a nice setup to have filter floss on the top, then Purigen and Carbon beneath.
3) I would do something similar to what I mentioned, but just make sure that your way is flowing over your filter floss. This is easier to swap out and maintain than the included filters and will keep your water looking nice and clear!

My Biocube has the heater and the skimmer in the first chamber, media basket and thermometer in the 2nd and return pump only in the 3rd :) I like to keep it simple, don't overcomplicate things for yourself!

Hope this helps!

BranFlake242005
12/05/2017, 12:38 PM
Hi there,
Congrats on getting a Biocube! I have a 29 and I love it. It was my first saltwater tank and now I'm setting up full saltwater systems as a result. Anything you see on the 14 applies to the 16, the tank is just a little taller. That being said, this is what I would recommend.

1) Nope, ditch the Biocube filters.
2) You don't NEED to get an intank media basket...but it is easier. You can make one yourself out of eggcrate to save some money, but it's a nice setup to have filter floss on the top, then Purigen and Carbon beneath.
3) I would do something similar to what I mentioned, but just make sure that your way is flowing over your filter floss. This is easier to swap out and maintain than the included filters and will keep your water looking nice and clear!

My Biocube has the heater and the skimmer in the first chamber, media basket and thermometer in the 2nd and return pump only in the 3rd :) I like to keep it simple, don't overcomplicate things for yourself!

Hope this helps!

Helps ALOT!!! I really appreciate it. I'm really excited to start my tank, but also a little nervous :)

BranFlake242005
12/05/2017, 01:34 PM
Has anyone tried these???

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HT2ARFU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_cpUjAbK4W0Z5N

BranFlake242005
12/05/2017, 01:35 PM
Sorry, this...

CerMedia MarinePure 1.5-Inch Sphere Bio-Filter Media for Marine and Freshwater Aquariums, 1-Gallon
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00HT2ARFU/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_cpUjAbK4W0Z5N