PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get a QT cycling

jbsengineer
12/08/2017, 12:35 PM
For almost 8 weeks I have been trying to get an empty quarantine tank cycled. However, I seem to have the bacteria to rid the ammonia but not the nitrites. For example, I added 3-4ppm ammonia yesterday to a 10g tank. Today the ammonia is at 2ppm. Nitrites are 5ppm+, and nitrates are 64ppm+. Typically takes 2-3 days to eat up the ammonia. Towards the beginning I did throw in some bio-spira at the beginning to help get it started.

Tank is 10 gallon, dual sponge filter with air pump, powerhead, no sand, and a pvc elbow.

Also have been keeping the heat around 84 to promote bacteria growth.

I add the ammonia every few days when it is 0ppm.

What am I doing wrong? (my DT is not up an running yet, this is my first tank - think of it as practice, :lmao:)

oldhead
12/08/2017, 01:20 PM
You are kind of backwards. Usually your display is up and cycled then you use a sponge filter that you have sitting in your sump collecting bacteria to put in an HOB filter for yo QT tank.

allendehl
12/08/2017, 01:28 PM
Well, IMHO (and I am a newbie so I may be incorrect) QT tanks dont need to be cycled. Fish are in there for a limited amount of time and you will be keeping up with water changes to maintain parameters and components on check.
But...if you still want it cycled (like for a permanent QT) then you need to add something for the bacteria to grow on. If you have a bare bottom tank only with PVC no matter what you do there is no surface for the bacteria to grow on so you will never get the amount you need to process your waste ("cycled tank"). Basically you need some rock in that tank...or sand.

mcgyvr
12/08/2017, 01:38 PM
You are simply adding way too much ammonia and the bacteria simply cannot handle that much at one time and never will..

Once the ammonia/nitrites are down to zero then do like a 50% water change or more then you are ready to add fish.
And do not add any more ammonia..

Are you ready to start cycling the display tank?
(you should be)

You have a room that can only fit 10 people (bacteria) you keep dumping enough food for 50 people into that room and then when you open the door the next day you are confused as to why those people are sitting in a pile of their own puke with more than half the food left... :)

jbsengineer
12/08/2017, 01:40 PM
Well, IMHO (and I am a newbie so I may be incorrect) QT tanks dont need to be cycled. Fish are in there for a limited amount of time and you will be keeping up with water changes to maintain parameters and components on check.
But...if you still want it cycled (like for a permanent QT) then you need to add something for the bacteria to grow on. If you have a bare bottom tank only with PVC no matter what you do there is no surface for the bacteria to grow on so you will never get the amount you need to process your waste ("cycled tank"). Basically you need some rock in that tank...or sand.

That's why I have the double sponge filter, for bacteria.

jbsengineer
12/08/2017, 01:43 PM
You are simply adding way too much ammonia and the bacteria simply cannot handle that much at one time and never will..

Once the ammonia/nitrites are down to zero then do like a 50% water change or more then you are ready to add fish.
And do not add any more ammonia..

Are you ready to start cycling the display tank?
(you should be)

This makes logical sense. I read somewhere that if I don't keep feeding it ammonia then bacteria cannot sustain. But your saying halt the ammonia additions, wait until nitrites are 0, then I'm good?

I am not, my pukani is still curing so I won't have my DT up for another few weeks.

Like I mentioned this is more of a test run of having a fish tank than a QT right now. But it's future is a true QT.

jbsengineer
12/08/2017, 01:43 PM
You are kind of backwards. Usually your display is up and cycled then you use a sponge filter that you have sitting in your sump collecting bacteria to put in an HOB filter for yo QT tank.

Yep, I get that. Saw that many times in Youtube videos....

allendehl
12/08/2017, 01:52 PM
This makes logical sense. I read somewhere that if I don't keep feeding it ammonia then bacteria cannot sustain. But your saying halt the ammonia additions, wait until nitrites are 0, then I'm good?

I am not, my pukani is still curing so I won't have my DT up for another few weeks.

Like I mentioned this is more of a test run of having a fish tank than a QT right now. But it's future is a true QT.

Oh I missed the filters part. You may even be cycled already just let the bacteria deal with the excess and do a WC as mc said. Keep in mind that if this happens after you put fish in, you may still have to add some more surface for bacteria.

Good luck!

mcgyvr
12/08/2017, 02:20 PM
But your saying halt the ammonia additions, wait until nitrites are 0, then I'm good?

Yes..

hkgar
12/08/2017, 03:29 PM

Yup, I keep a sponge in my sump and when I need the QT I put the sponge in an Aquaclear HOB filter and shes ready to go.

Sk8r
12/09/2017, 11:56 AM
OTOH, there is nothing wrong with clean uncycled salt water if you keep changing the filter floss at every appearance of stain and keep Prime standing by.