PDA

View Full Version : Filter socks

TDB
12/10/2017, 07:02 AM
Any tips on the best way to clean these ?

Or should I be using them at all ?

mcgyvr
12/10/2017, 07:04 AM
Those that use them just throw them in the wash with bleach and a double rinse cycle then air dry..

Many don't use them and allow what the just trap/hold to circulate throughout the tank to be recycled/consumed,etc...

ethuman
12/10/2017, 07:07 AM
I notice a spike in my nitrates when i use them partially because I don’t change them often enough which would have to be daily so i just stopped using them

TDB
12/10/2017, 07:28 AM
Well if there is not great reason to use them I am going to remove them. They are a pain in the butt to keep clean and flowing water through them properly. Thanks for the advice.

top shelf
12/10/2017, 07:29 AM
I run one and ideally that should be changed every 2-3 days. That being said I am for that but there's times I change it every 3-4 or sometimes once a week with no issues. As for cleaning them I put 3 of em in a small bucket with half rodi and half peroxide and soak for 24hrs then wash in washing machine with hot water. Peroxide has proven to be more effective at removing the junk then bleach.

on the spot
12/10/2017, 07:46 AM
Well if there is not great reason to use them I am going to remove them...

Used properly they do a fabulous job keeping the water debris free. Some prefer the look of clearer water. It's neither the right or wrong, it just is.

reefteaser
12/10/2017, 08:32 AM
I started using the BRS mesh socks a year ago. They are MUCH easier to clean, and filter out the larger stuff. I believe that the smaller, beneficial things (pods) mostly get through as I don’t see near as much of them as when I would clean the felt socks, and I have many in my DT.
Also, if one of my fish or inverts makes it into my drain they’ll be more easily rescued.

lapin
12/10/2017, 08:47 AM
Filter socks, Filter floss, Skimmers, Chaeto..... All of these things are used to filter your water. You can use them or not use them. It all comes down to how you want to remove or process the waste products in your tank. Yes they are a pain in the bu.. to clean. I use them because I find it is easier to clean them than it is to try and get that crud out of my sump and tank with a vacuum. Same reason I use a skimmer. People have success with out either.

rocsec1
12/10/2017, 07:06 PM
I clean mine in the washer with bleach. I’ve got 12of them and change them out every few days. When they are all used I clean and repeat.

D_Rock
12/11/2017, 11:20 AM
I throw mine in the wash no soap and air dry. I change mine once I notice the water flow slowing down. I do notice that after about 3 washes they do not filter that well after.

Chaddiusmaximus
12/11/2017, 10:12 PM
I use them and think it really comes down to how often you change them out. I change my shocks twice a week (sometimes it's long because of life). BRStv has a good video on the subject, BRS investigates section. But to your question.

remove from tank
wash by hand in sink to remove large particles and what not. less than a minute
place in 5 gal. bucket with RO water and bleach
sets in garage until I have three or four socks left
washed in washer machine with bleach hung on the outside line for two or three days.
summer or winter the outside sun and air help to remove the chlorine.

Abstract3000
12/11/2017, 11:07 PM
Depending on bioload and the amount you feed Filter Socks should be changed every few days if not at least once a week.

I find BRS socks the cheapest, longest lasting, easiest to clean. I pull mine twice a week (sometimes i forget and do once) I flip it inside out and wash out with a tap, then throw it in a bucket thats filled with water and 10 % bleach. when the bucket is filled I throw them in the washing machine with no soap or bleach followed by air drying.

It's not a favorite task of mine, thats why i always buy the socks when they are discounted or in group buys and have 30 or 40 of the things and tend to only clean once every couple months. Your choice to get rid of the Socks, but they trap a lot of crap, take the work load off the skimmer and keep your sump cleaner :)

d0ughb0y
12/12/2017, 09:45 AM
search for diy filter sock. you can get felt fabric and make socks for pennies each and just use a new one each time.

you can't get any cleaner than using brand new socks each time. regardless of your method of cleaning, you will never get it as clean as a brand new sock. plus all the trouble of washing, etc. diy takes a couple hours to make a year's supply. I've done all the suggested methods, and diy sock imho is the best method.

top shelf
12/12/2017, 10:51 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1943735

Good read for anyone using bleach with their filter socks, after reading that I decided to go with peroxide.

lapin
12/12/2017, 10:59 AM
Good read for anyone using bleach with their filter socks, after reading that I decided to go with peroxide.

The cleaning industry has moved towards using peroxide. While bleach does kill and make things white so does peroxide. Peroxide breaks down pretty fast thus better for the environment. Making socks white is not as important as flushing out the crud so you don't have to change them as often. They can be very clean and not be white.

der_wille_zur_macht
12/12/2017, 01:52 PM
I only run one when I've done maintenance or a water change and have stirred up debris. If I know the tank is going to get dirty due to maintenance, I take the time to hose off the rocks with a turkey baster and stir up any debris, then I put a sock on and let it go until it's clogged (sometimes just a few hours), and take it off.

I get the desire to have "clear water" by running them all the time, but ultra clear water is not a good reflection of a natural coral reef environment - and at any rate, I've never had a problem keeping water clear (enough) even without socks.

Joe0813
12/12/2017, 02:11 PM
I pull mine every three days and wash them in the washing machine

smatter
12/12/2017, 02:39 PM
Mesh is best. Felt is a royal pain. I've bleached so many felts and pleats, I'm done! I actually use a filter cup in the sock holder now. It's nice to layer in a little chemical media between the layers of floss and just toss the whole lot in the trash with a flick of the wrist.

Dr RBG
12/12/2017, 06:12 PM
I use this little washer because I was forbidden to put them in the household washer.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074R7GK8V/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

then a soak in Hydrogen Peroxide Works great

der_wille_zur_macht
12/12/2017, 07:25 PM
That little washer is hilarious! Although I understand it - I'm certainly not banned from using the clothes washer considering I would be the only one banning myself, but it feels completely wasteful to run a whole load - even on the small setting - for just a few socks. I just wash them by hand in the sink then let them air dry.

lapin
12/12/2017, 07:48 PM
Ya those things are funny. I could use it to wash microfiber cloths as well as socks

Frogmanx82
12/14/2017, 11:47 PM
I put a mesh sock inside a felt sock and change them once a week which about how long it takes them to plug. I have considered going with just the mesh since it rinses easily in a minute and does the main job of keeping big stuff out of the skimmer. Well except for all those stomatella snails all over the place.