PDA

View Full Version : Led

lsouth913
12/10/2017, 10:23 PM
I'm setting up a 120rr..I had a 68g years ago and used mh lighting then.. is everyone using led now? What kind of wattage should I be looking at if I go with Led? And any brands I should stay away from? Thanks in advance for any help..

top shelf
12/11/2017, 05:21 AM
We need to know a little info first. What are the tank dimensions, what do you plan to keep, will it be fish only, or corals? What type of corals softies, softies/lps, or sps dominant? What type of budget do you have?

I see more and more people using led's now a days but there are still people that prefer their t5 and mh lights. I've also noticed a lot of people supplementing their LED's with t5. As for what light to get it all depends on budget and what you want from your light and how much you wanna spend. You can get a simple Mars Aqua for under $100 all the way up to fully controllable Apex compatible ecotech radions for almost 1k.

Uncle99
12/11/2017, 12:23 PM
In general, LED push between 150 and 165 w per box....a box usually is good to light 24 x 24 x 24 cube....as stated above from 100 to 1000 per box. As far as I am concerned, light is the same, just the toys it comes with and country of manufacture effect price...

Ron Reefman
12/12/2017, 07:40 AM
Offer up the info top shelf asked about and your get much better results here.

You might also look at this post:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=25052764&postcount=233

It has some cost and features info you might find useful.

crawlerman
12/12/2017, 08:24 AM
If you are on a budget, people have had a lot of success with the Chinese black box LED fixtures. The link above lists the options. If money is of no concern and you plan to use Apex (or similar controller) then you can go with Radion, Kessil, etc. so you can have more control.

I have 3 of the sbreeflights 16" pro timer fixtures (165W) for my 6' long 180g and I am happy with them ($209). They also have a wifi fixture with more control for $270. But to be honest I would probably just buy the cheaper Mars Aqua fixtures for $100 and put them on a timer. My lights are still working good but the display on 2 of them quit working. So I am stuck with the time I set them on and can't adjust them.

I would also add that I like the light from metal halide better than LED. But considering the heat, energy consumption and expense of bulb replacement, I will stick with LED.