PDA

View Full Version : Water change stability with Alk

Musicims
12/16/2017, 01:07 PM
Super simple question but have not really found out a solution.

I use IO salt mix with has an alk anywhere from 10-11 dkh. I keep my tank ~9dkh. I know that stability is key and what you put in should match what is already in your tank so how do people work with this? I really should not want to be raising my alk by this much every time I do a water change.

Thanks

Cheapreef
12/16/2017, 02:07 PM
Super simple question but have not really found out a solution.

I use IO salt mix with has an alk anywhere from 10-11 dkh. I keep my tank ~9dkh. I know that stability is key and what you put in should match what is already in your tank so how do people work with this? I really should not want to be raising my alk by this much every time I do a water change.

Thanks

A differnce of 2 DKH in a 10% water change will only bump your Alk by 0.2 if you do 20% it would be less than half a point no need to worry for anything less than 0.5 DKH IMO

homer1475
12/16/2017, 02:23 PM
Muriatic acid will lower the ALK of the fresh mix.

water volume x dkh drop x 0.123 = ml of muratic acid to add.

I mix my water up to match my DT. 8.5 alk 420 cal 1350 mg

RobZilla04
12/16/2017, 03:00 PM
A differnce of 2 DKH in a 10% water change will only bump your Alk by 0.2 if you do 20% it would be less than half a point no need to worry for anything less than 0.5 DKH IMO

This ^

You could always skip a dose or two following a WC but you will need to know your daily consumption rate. Ive backed WC's down to monthly and only 10-15%. Also use IO and never skip a dosng. No probs either with Alk creeping up over time.

bertoni
12/16/2017, 03:13 PM
I agree that the change in alkalinity will be small. I'd probably use the salt as is, and back off on the supplementation a bit, but a bit of muriatic acid will lower the dKH. Muriatic acid requires care in handling because the fumes are toxic, and getting any in your eyes would be dangerous. It can be handled safely, but deserves some respect.