PDA

View Full Version : Just a few of questions about Chloroquine Phosphate

solitude127
12/16/2017, 06:56 PM
Just a few of questions about Chloroquine Phosphate
1) How can you remove Chloroquine Phosphate from a QT system? With GAC, huge w/c, skimmer?
2) Does a skimmer affect the effectiveness of Chloroquine Phosphate?
3) Does Live Rock and Live Sand affect the effectiveness of Chloroquine Phosphate?
4) Over time, does the effectiveness of Chloroquine Phosphate decrease? For example, if my QT tank is fishless for 2 months and I kept the system running, if I'm ready to QT another fish, do I have dose the recommended amount Chloroquine Phosphate?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Jdub968
12/16/2017, 07:55 PM
Yes I believe Protien skimmer will remove it sand and rock can always absorb meds, gac and wc's will remove it and yes I would start fresh every time. Besides its best to treat in a bare bottom qt and sterilize the qt between batches of fish

JustinM
12/17/2017, 05:48 PM
Light will also degrade CP. Since there is no way to test CP, it is best to be treated in a bare bottom. To remove it, run carbon or transfer tithe fish to a sterile tank and completely drain and sterilize the qt. Remember, CP, copper, etc, does not kill tomonts so all fish must be moved to a sterile tank after treatment or reinfection is very likely depending on strand.

Jdub968
12/17/2017, 06:42 PM
Light will also degrade CP. Since there is no way to test CP, it is best to be treated in a bare bottom. To remove it, run carbon or transfer tithe fish to a sterile tank and completely drain and sterilize the qt. Remember, CP, copper, etc, does not kill tomonts so all fish must be moved to a sterile tank after treatment or reinfection is very likely depending on strand.

FYI cp is stable in water, light only degrades it when in powder form

Dmorty217
12/17/2017, 07:07 PM
Just a few of questions about Chloroquine Phosphate
1) How can you remove Chloroquine Phosphate from a QT system? With GAC, huge w/c, skimmer?
2) Does a skimmer affect the effectiveness of Chloroquine Phosphate?
3) Does Live Rock and Live Sand affect the effectiveness of Chloroquine Phosphate?
4) Over time, does the effectiveness of Chloroquine Phosphate decrease? For example, if my QT tank is fishless for 2 months and I kept the system running, if I'm ready to QT another fish, do I have dose the recommended amount Chloroquine Phosphate?

TIA

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Water change or carbon will remove it. Skimming won't effect it unless the skimmer dumps a bunch of water. Sand definitely effects how much CP needs to be used but not rock. In my experience with CP degrades after about 14 days and needs to be redosed. CP is only effected by light in powder form like previously mentioned.

Jdub968
12/17/2017, 08:35 PM
Water change or carbon will remove it. Skimming won't effect it unless the skimmer dumps a bunch of water. Sand definitely effects how much CP needs to be used but not rock. In my experience with CP degrades after about 14 days and needs to be redosed. CP is only effected by light in powder form like previously mentioned.

Dmorty217 I was wondering why Protien skimming would not remove it as it does to other meds? Also why sand and not rock? And finally in your experience with cp what has happened to suggest cp is less affective after 14 days ? These ? Are just to help me understand cp a little better

Dmorty217
12/18/2017, 07:50 AM
Dmorty217 I was wondering why Protien skimming would not remove it as it does to other meds? Also why sand and not rock? And finally in your experience with cp what has happened to suggest cp is less affective after 14 days ? These ? Are just to help me understand cp a little better

The skimming part I can't quantify but rather just repeat what I have been told by several curators of public aquariums. The sand and not rock part is another thing I can't point out what specifically causes it to be absorbed but I have treated tanks with sand and watched it do literally nothing and treated the same sized tank (40g) without sand and Ich disappear not to be seen again. With the non pharmaceutical grade CP it might need to be redosed because of the purity amount in the CP. I have only used pharmaceutical grade CP one time due to the expense involved when I had to treat my 625g I used CP from national fish pharma. A good way to see if the CP is working is to put some small rock with algae on it in the tank to be treated and if the algae lives the tank wasn't dosed properly. Also when the algae starts to grow again that's another good indication the med has wore off. IME CP is extremely forgiving when used with fish that can tolerate it much like Praziquantel is. Not sure if anything I just wrote helps or not

solitude127
12/18/2017, 11:02 AM
Thank you everyone for your input. Are there any species of fish that don't do well with a CP treatment?

Dmorty217
12/18/2017, 12:11 PM
Thank you everyone for your input. Are there any species of fish that don't do well with a CP treatment?

Pipe fish, sea horse and wrasse. Also hippo tangs don't fare well in it

solitude127
12/18/2017, 12:57 PM
Pipe fish, sea horse and wrasse. Also hippo tangs don't fare well in it

Thank you for your help. Since wrasses don't fare well with CP, what is your QT procedure for this species?

Dmorty217
12/18/2017, 06:00 PM
Thank you for your help. Since wrasses don't fare well with CP, what is your QT procedure for this species?

Not much of a wrasse guy but when I get them I use copper or cupramine. I'm not a fan of TTM but that would be the quickest method.