PDA

View Full Version : I'm going CRAZY trying to recalibrate my apex salinity probe. HELP.

RussC
12/16/2017, 07:18 PM
I've tried so many different things. I'm sick and tired of reading and trying to find an answer. Nothing has worked. I've tried the automatic probe calibration and it just sits there and spins with an error triangle next to the 'acceptable range.' I've tried the manual calibration and put in temperature control ranges from 0.5 to 3.0 and there has been no real difference. I've followed the instructions on the control freak site. nothing. I've followed directions from folks in old threads on forums. Nothing. What gives? I've calibrated my refractometer with two different calibration fluids as a redundant method. But how hard could it be for my probe to calibrate? What can I do? Can I get some help on this because its been extremely frustrating. This probe is less than 4 months old. This process shouldn't be such a pain in the rear.

PS I've posted on Neptune's Forum. But that is so slow and such a limited viewing. I wanted to give it a shot on RC. Lots of great folks here.

mal7887
12/17/2017, 06:41 AM
Which apex are you calibrating, the 2016 or the classic?

Do you have a display where you can go through calibration steps on display?

RussC
12/17/2017, 09:49 AM
I've got the 2016. I've since run out of the Neptune calibration liquid. Can I use something else in the meantime? I found AccuraSea seawater reference/calibration solution at the LFS. The ingredients are pure natural seawater at 53.0 mS (S 35). Why wouldn't that work?

SereneAquatic
12/17/2017, 02:11 PM
Following... Mine is being a pain too. I have not yet tried the 'Dry for a couple days, make sure ALL the air bubbles are out..' but that is next.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Cheapreef
12/17/2017, 02:29 PM
Yeah there a PITA. Finally got mine calibrated after 2 weeks, worked perfectly for another 4 weeks then yesterday it just stopped working. 6 week old probe toast for no reason :headwallblue:

VoltzNSalt
12/17/2017, 02:47 PM
Yeah there a PITA. Finally got mine calibrated after 2 weeks, worked perfectly for another 4 weeks then yesterday it just stopped working. 6 week old probe toast for no reason :headwallblue:

That's the book on those salinity probes. That's why I haven't invested in one...

Cheapreef
12/17/2017, 03:01 PM
That's the book on those salinity probes. That's why I haven't invested in one...

Good call, it came with my APEX gold pachked I got at 60% off still in shrink wrap. Needless to say I wont be replacing it.

RussC
12/17/2017, 05:23 PM
I got mine working. What finally worked for me was to reset the plug before manually calibrating. I unplugged the probe and then quickly went through the calibrating process, hitting next without waiting on anything to settle. I did all this through the local dashboard, not fusion. After I went through the quick calibration, I updated, then restarted my Apex by going to Misc > Restart. Once it restarted I opened the calibration once again and the offset read 13 and the scale read -10ec. That was what I wanted. I plugged the probe back in and proceeded with the manual calibration, paying particular attention to making sure all bubbles were out of the probe during the settling wait. I didn't hurry. The final number came to 34.9. I was good to go!

Dr RBG
12/17/2017, 07:32 PM
Have you tried to do it manually. I had trouble with the auto calibration also. I called them and they walked me through the manual calibration and it worked