PDA

View Full Version : Marine velvet

Queensreefer
12/19/2017, 11:18 PM
Will I able to kill velvet if I drain the tank and let it dry out for 4 months?

flooddc
12/20/2017, 06:44 AM
Yes, but you will have to start over with your tank cycle.
Just go fallow for 10-12 weeks or more. Without fish in the tank, there is no host for marine velvet to live on.

Rover88
12/20/2017, 06:49 AM
Marine velvet is a type of dinoflagellete, it is similar to ich in the sense it has a life cycle it will go through. Without fish, it doesn't survive.

Otherwise, the option is to treat the fish with copper based medication in a quarantine tank. If you do it in the main tank, all inverts will likely die, and you won't be able to add them later cause Copper gets in everything.

SAT
12/20/2017, 01:16 PM
Yes, but you will have to start over with your tank cycle.
Just go fallow for 10-12 weeks or more. Without fish in the tank, there is no host for marine velvet to live on.

+1

The maximum life cycle time for marine velvet (Amblyoodinum) does not seem to be as well documented as Ich, but the references I have found imply a fallow period as short as 3 weeks at 25C might be adequate. However, the 72 days recommended for Ich (Cryptocaryon) is a good, safe period. In practice, I think Ich is often misdiagnosed as velvet.

nereefpat
12/20/2017, 04:20 PM
+1

In practice, I think Ich is often misdiagnosed as velvet.

I think this is true, and also true the other way around.

I frequently see folks on here claim that ich wiped out their tank in a week. I always think..."that doesn't sound like ich."

Dmorty217
12/21/2017, 09:19 AM
Fallow period for velvet is 6 weeks

SAT
12/21/2017, 11:44 AM
Fallow period for velvet is 6 weeks

Can you give me a reference for that? I wasn't able to find it in my usual sources.