PDA

View Full Version : Pulsing a Rio 1100 Power Head good or bad

Jyetman
12/21/2017, 06:42 PM
The manufacture says never operate RioŽ Plus pump with an electronic
wave maker or timing device. As such devices will cause permanent damage to the pump and/or demagnetize the magnetic impeller. During the day I need less flow but still need the pump to pulsate periodically pushing the scrubber outflow coming into the skimmer box back out to DT. I don't understand how my apex programmed to turn the pump on for 5 seconds and off for 10 seconds is going to damage this pump? Am I missing something here?

DesertReefT4r
12/21/2017, 07:52 PM
Yeah its hard on this style pump to turn off and on all the time, I would not recommend it. Is this a return pump or in tank flow?

Jyetman
12/21/2017, 07:58 PM
Yeah its hard on this style pump to turn off and on all the time, I would not recommend it. Is this a return pump or in tank flow?

its in a skimmer box inside the display tank. Its a closed loop system so the skimmer is hidden away in this acrylic box glued to the back of tank. When the rio is running the pump pushes to much water and its not easy taking this pump back out to put a valve on it. So was hoping I can just run it a few seconds every minute or so. I have a scrubber bucket dumping flow into this box with a skimmer. I'm sure water is pushed back into the DT from scrubber flow but not sure how efficient is why I installed a rio pump.

Jyetman
12/21/2017, 09:09 PM
Ok let me put it another way, is there a on/off frequency that is less harmful to a typical power head? Most wave makers pulse on/off every few seconds as to the manufacture warning of this rio pump so what about extending the on/off rate?

DesertReefT4r
12/22/2017, 07:50 AM
Sounds like a smaller pump is the best solution. Maybe a MJ900.

You can run the rio on a timer just expect issues like a shorter pump and impeller life, noise from the pump and possible random sticking of the impeller.

Jyetman
12/22/2017, 12:09 PM
Sounds like a smaller pump is the best solution. Maybe a MJ900.

You can run the rio on a timer just expect issues like a shorter pump and impeller life, noise from the pump and possible random sticking of the impeller.

You mean at first if on a timer the pump will be silent and soft clicks but nosier as it ages? This rio pump is quieter then my JBJ SP1-1000E power heads and JBJ states those pumps can be used for wavemakers. I suppose JBJ's wavemaker statement is a tactic to insure it sells lots of replacement parts for its pumps as rio is just trying to keep their pumps running past warranty.

nikon187
12/22/2017, 05:58 PM
Ok let me put it another way, is there a on/off frequency that is less harmful to a typical power head? Most wave makers pulse on/off every few seconds as to the manufacture warning of this rio pump so what about extending the on/off rate?

short answer, no. AC pumps are not designed to be switched off and on. It will probably work but will shorten the life and may increase noise as already said. DC pumps are designed to be controlled through different voltages.

edit: Any pump can be used as a wavemaker, they just arent designed to be used that way.

DesertReefT4r
12/22/2017, 08:10 PM
You mean at first if on a timer the pump will be silent and soft clicks but nosier as it ages? This rio pump is quieter then my JBJ SP1-1000E power heads and JBJ states those pumps can be used for wavemakers. I suppose JBJ's wavemaker statement is a tactic to insure it sells lots of replacement parts for its pumps as rio is just trying to keep their pumps running past warranty.

No these issues can start right away. Noise from pump starting up and yes it will get loader as it gets older especially on a timer being turned on and off so much. Like I said if the Rio 1100 is too much flow for your filter chambers swap to a smaller pump. I dont like putting a valve on return pumps to dial them back, it puts more head pressure on the pump and can shorten the life. A proper sized pump or controllable DC pump is my choice. While I do run ball valves on my return lines its just to stop water from syphoning back into the sump if I turn the pump off, not needed in a AIO tank.