PDA

View Full Version : What do I watch for during quarrantine?

SereneAquatic
12/29/2017, 10:19 PM
I currently (technically) have two quarantine tanks... The new display tank with a pair of Clownfish (the tank is fully cycled and experienced a moderate diatom bloom) and a QT with a small clean up crew and a flame angel.

I need a little advice, as I realize that I have already made a mistake in quarrantining the fish with the inverts.

My initial hope was to be able to watch the clowns in the display for a while and then add the others after the bacteria in the DT had some time to mature. We had the clowns about 10 days before we purchased the others and placed into QT.

Looking back, it may have been better to QT the clowns outside of the DT as well.

Here are the questions...

1. The clowns picked a nice rock to hide behind on the back wall of the tank... Directly where they cannot be easily observed. They come out to eat and then promptly disappear again. Should I remove the rock that they call home so I can better see them, or let them keep it to reduce stress? They do not show any obvious signs of disease, but I am new and may not even recognize actual problems.

2. Should I move the flame angel into the DT so fish can be treated if necessary without worrying about the inverts, or leave the angel where he is unless he shows signs of illness and then move him to a third tank? We have only had him about 24 hours, so not enough time to really tell. The only odd thing I have seen him do is hang out in the bubble stream and move, almost like he is washing himself off. I know fish with velvet can hang out in water streams, but I haven't seen him do it consistently.

I realize I have goofed up, please be gentle. The sales person at the LFS made it sound like it was fine to quarrantine them all together, but I wish I hadn't purchased the flame yet.

Here are the tanks stats.

DT 88 gallons

salinity 35 PPT

temp 76.5 - 78

Alk 6.664 (continues to slowly drop each day...)

PH 8.03 (daily swings stabilized after the chaeto started taking off)

Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate at 0

Chaeto with Kessil H380 grow light in the main part of the sump, no skimmer or additional filtration needed yet.

Small amount of diatom bloom remains visible but it is receding.

The clowns eat a small amount of LRS fish frenzy frozen food daily, but they seem to be eating less the last two days than they were previously, and they don't seem as eager to come out from behind the rock at they were a few days ago.

=========
QT tank is a ten gallon with HOB filter with carbon (like you buy for fresh water), a large piece of pukani from the DT sump (I don't have anything else that has the bacteria on it, but the CUC seems very happy about it and are cleaning up the diatom bloom) a heater set to about 77 and an air stone. I will be monitoring daily and doing 10 percent water changes daily.

In that tank there is 1 emerald crab, 1 fire shrimp, 6 astrea snails and 1 turbo snail with the flame angel.

Salinity in this tank is 1.023 SG to match the LFS. I plan to LOWER the salinity in the DT over the coming weeks.

Any suggestions would be helpful and appreciated. I don't feel like the QT is nearly as stable of an environment as the DT and worry that I will stress them too much, on top of my other worries.

Also... Why didn't anyone warn me that I will feel like a new mom, bringing their kids home from the hospital for the first time?!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

SereneAquatic
12/29/2017, 10:20 PM
Ugh... In all of that typing i forgot the main question... What things should I be looking for while they are in quarrantine?

SereneAquatic
12/30/2017, 08:38 AM
Update- I have not seen the Angel 'washing' himself in the bubbles anymore, but he does seem animated. He still won't eat though. This is heading into the second day. Everything else is eating and seems ok in QT.

JUNBUG361
12/30/2017, 03:47 PM
give it some time. it will get hungry

SereneAquatic
01/06/2018, 09:32 AM
This is a video of the angel, where he was 'washing' himself in the bubbles. There is also another quick shot of him doing a kind of rapid head shake that I have seen a few times now. Occasionally it looks like he is rubbing his face against things.

Are any of these behaviors abnormal? I have tried looking for other videos of these fish but there are surprisingly few. I haven't seen the fish in any of the other videos don't these things.

Is my fish just strange, or should I be concerned?

SereneAquatic
01/06/2018, 06:02 PM
Drat... Link didn't post. Let's try again?

https://youtu.be/XyjWqfFHLII

JUNBUG361
01/06/2018, 10:25 PM
Fish looks okay, might still be trying to get use to it new environment

Uncle99
01/07/2018, 06:53 AM
Watch for eating, rubbing, discoloration areas, black areas or spots, white spots, tiny white spots, trouble breathing....