PDA

View Full Version : Jebao SW-4 or SW-8 for a 75 gallon?

Fnic99
12/30/2017, 10:46 AM
I have a 75g rimless tank with a center overflow and added a pair of Jebao SW-8's on the rear wall of the tank angled towards the center. Even on the lowest setting, the flow is huge and is picking up a lot of sand. The bottom of my take looks like a series of mounds and craters. Should I switch to a pair of SW-4's? Leave only one SW-8? Thanks for any advice.

timnem70
12/30/2017, 01:30 PM
I have a 75g rimless tank with a center overflow and added a pair of Jebao SW-8's on the rear wall of the tank angled towards the center. Even on the lowest setting, the flow is huge and is picking up a lot of sand. The bottom of my take looks like a series of mounds and craters. Should I switch to a pair of SW-4's? Leave only one SW-8? Thanks for any advice.Go sandless.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

d0ughb0y
12/30/2017, 01:44 PM
Since you already have a pair of sw-8, just configure it to alternate at the lowest or whatever setting you like.

Fnic99
12/30/2017, 02:47 PM
Since you already have a pair of sw-8, just configure it to alternate at the lowest or whatever setting you like.

I have one side on right now and the hurricane of sand stopped. I am going to play around with them a little more tonight.

saf1
12/30/2017, 04:56 PM
Go with the 8's and adjust speed. I have a 4 and 8 in my 40 breeder connected to my controller. I run between 45 and 55%. One thing to be aware of is maintenance. They have a pretty high fall off over time has algae and other gunk builds up. I do my best to clean monthly. Other than that they have been pretty reliable all things considered.

Fnic99
12/30/2017, 08:01 PM
Go with the 8's and adjust speed. I have a 4 and 8 in my 40 breeder connected to my controller. I run between 45 and 55%. One thing to be aware of is maintenance. They have a pretty high fall off over time has algae and other gunk builds up. I do my best to clean monthly. Other than that they have been pretty reliable all things considered.

Thanks for the advice. Do you use them on the steady flow mode of pulsating? With the pulsating mode, I can go full power without a problem.

saf1
12/30/2017, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the advice. Do you use them on the steady flow mode of pulsating? With the pulsating mode, I can go full power without a problem.

Mine are connected to a controller (ReefAngel) so it varies. Reefcrest, lagoon, tidal swell, nutrient transport, and long pulse (alternate left/right side every 43 seconds @ 53 power). They seem to work pretty well with the various flows like I said but they do seem to require frequent cleaning. Maybe my tank is a bit dirtier, I don't know, but they seem to accumulate algae and loose some power over time.

I used to have a pair of RW4's but one broke a couple months back and I replaced it with the 8. Personally I've had pretty solid luck with them with one lasting a couple years now. Again, I clean about once a month with a older tooth brush and pipe cleaner.

Now, having said all this and that I've had good luck with them on the new tank I'm going a different route. Last year I picked up a Gyre XF 250 during a sale and this was going to be my primary water mover in my 240 gallon upgrade (with two 1" returns). Since moving it into the house and going through the final setup I've decided to use 2 1" Sea Swirls instead. I'll place one on each corner and place the Gyre in the center of the back glass. The idea here is the corner Sea Swirls will cover 90 degrees more or less and the Gyre in the middle back pushing water center. We'll see.

Anyway these worked for me in my 40 breeder and I would buy them again with a similar sized tank. In fact, I am using a DCT/DCS Return from them.

Fnic99
12/31/2017, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the advice. I have them pulsating at 3/4 power and the tank seems to have calmed down.

Daltonbilecki
12/31/2017, 11:14 AM
I have two wp-10s, which is equivalent to the sw-4. I would say it’s not enough flow if you want good sps growth. On max it is just enough flow to maintain my mixed reef

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jon0807
12/31/2017, 02:37 PM
I have 2 4's on opposite sides of my 40b. They are set to go on alternately but I don't think that works very well cause sometimes both are on at the same time. But I actually like it cause I'll get varied flow. You might try moving them to opposite sides as well and alternate the flow. Also what kind of sand do you have? I have Fiji Pink and it doesn't blow around as easily.

Fnic99
01/02/2018, 05:48 PM
I have 2 4's on opposite sides of my 40b. They are set to go on alternately but I don't think that works very well cause sometimes both are on at the same time. But I actually like it cause I'll get varied flow. You might try moving them to opposite sides as well and alternate the flow. Also what kind of sand do you have? I have Fiji Pink and it doesn't blow around as easily.

I noticed that they really don’t alternate but instead seem to pulse at the same time. The sand is a mixture of large and small particles. I believe the guy in the store said Marcos island sand.