PDA

View Full Version : This is most likely a dumb question...

SL923
12/30/2017, 11:21 AM
But Its cold outside and I don’t have a lot to do today. So, I was reading post and someone posted that their Ocellaris clownfish is 14 years old [emoji7] just wow! Anyway, it has me wondering how do I know how old my fish are? I know the obvious thing to do would be to ask my fish store when I buy them, but I did not do this...[emoji849]🤦🏼*♀️

Is there a trick to kind of guesstimate their age?

Thanks in advance for the answers and sorry for a stupid question lol. I know there are much more important things to know then their age. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

billdogg
12/30/2017, 11:37 AM
Because some of the fish we buy are juveniles and others are already at their adult sizes it can be pretty difficult to figure that out. About the best you can do is guess.

I know that the Eel i kept for 25 years was already at least a year or two old when I got him - at least at 18" or so that is my best guess - I figure he lived to the 27+ range.

Other fish are born with a certain color pattern that changes as they mature. Angels are a good example of this and allow a fairly accurate guess. Others are born male and will change to female if the circumstances permit (clowns) while some are female and change to male (anthias, most (all?) wrasses, etc.

Unless you breed them yourself or get them directly from the breeder, guessing is all you can do.

SL923
12/30/2017, 04:31 PM
Because some of the fish we buy are juveniles and others are already at their adult sizes it can be pretty difficult to figure that out. About the best you can do is guess.

I know that the Eel i kept for 25 years was already at least a year or two old when I got him - at least at 18" or so that is my best guess - I figure he lived to the 27+ range.

Other fish are born with a certain color pattern that changes as they mature. Angels are a good example of this and allow a fairly accurate guess. Others are born male and will change to female if the circumstances permit (clowns) while some are female and change to male (anthias, most (all?) wrasses, etc.

Unless you breed them yourself or get them directly from the breeder, guessing is all you can do.

I figured it would be really hard to tell their age. That’s amazing about the eel! Thanks for the answer [emoji1303]

RobZilla04
12/30/2017, 05:32 PM
Never tried asking them?

SL923
12/30/2017, 05:39 PM
Never tried asking them?

I don’t know what’s wrong with my fish! They never talk to me and just use me for food ;) LOL

subbedout
12/30/2017, 08:33 PM
I figured it would be really hard to tell their age. That’s amazing about the eel! Thanks for the answer [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkCount the stripes [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

SL923
12/30/2017, 10:02 PM
Count the stripes [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Lol

Tuffyyyyy
12/30/2017, 10:11 PM
Do you know how long you've had it for? Or perhaps how much it has grown?

SL923
12/31/2017, 12:52 AM
Do you know how long you've had it for? Or perhaps how much it has grown?

I have had 2 of my clowns 3 months.i assumes they are babies because they are maybe an inch long. One of the clowns is about 2.5in long. I was told my yellow tang is a baby. He is about 2-5-3inch, the fire goby is about 2inches, and my pyramid butterfly is about 4inch. The fish I have had the longest are the 1st 2 clowns. We are very new to this [emoji6][emoji170]

NS Mike D
12/31/2017, 08:57 PM
Count the number of candles on their birthday cake

Pslreefer
12/31/2017, 08:58 PM
Count the number of candles on their birthday cake

[emoji23][emoji23]

rfgonzo
01/01/2018, 01:47 AM
If your fish is female don't ask her age.....

Sstanley223
01/01/2018, 09:03 AM
Tomato clown since 2010... she gets meaner by the day! Love that fish

SL923
01/01/2018, 09:41 AM
If your fish is female don't ask her age.....

Lol I have been trying to teach my sons never to mention a lady’s age, anything about her weight, hair, or skin! Haha basically if it isn’t a compliment don’t even go there! [emoji23]🤷*♀️

SL923
01/01/2018, 09:42 AM
Tomato clown since 2010... she gets meaner by the day! Love that fish

I love how each fish has their own personalities! I never realized that fish would have personalities LOL

I bet she is a pretty fish!