PDA

View Full Version : Heavy duty peristaltic pump for supplying water to a Kalkstirrera

DiscusHeckel
01/02/2018, 04:37 AM
Happy new year.

I use an AC driven peristaltic pump that pumps RODI to my kalkstirrer for 14 hours per day. The pump is not designed for prolonged use like this. Hence, its gearbox starts to make awful lot of noise after about 4350 hours of use, which is about 10 months. I have to replace its gear box once a year.

Is there any peristaltic pump that has a heavy duty cycle that will withstand this sort of prolonged use per day, so that replacement of parts will be less frequent?

Thanks in advance.

Vinny Kreyling
01/02/2018, 09:02 AM
Try Watson Marlow or Masterflex. Not cheap but made for continuous duty.

der_wille_zur_macht
01/02/2018, 09:08 AM
And they're available cheap on ebay if you hunt for a while. I'm using a pump that retails for several hundred and I paid $75 for it.

ca1ore
01/02/2018, 09:38 AM
Avast marine make an affordable, continuous duty peristaltic. It's not adjustable though. Don't know whether it's available in England.

2wheelsonly
01/02/2018, 09:39 AM
The hard part is actually finding without strings attached (rigged cords, missing heads etc).

Trying to run a serious SPS tank with a carx without one seems like a waste of time! So important, I wonder why no "reef ready" company has made one just for reactors.

In your case (alk stirrer) I bet the avast would work great since you don't really have a strong need to adjust flow like you would with a calcium reactor; you just want consistency right?

DiscusHeckel
01/02/2018, 09:52 AM
The hard part is actually finding without strings attached (rigged cords, missing heads etc).

Trying to run a serious SPS tank with a carx without one seems like a waste of time! So important, I wonder why no "reef ready" company has made one just for reactors.

In your case (alk stirrer) I bet the avast would work great since you don't really have a strong need to adjust flow like you would with a calcium reactor; you just want consistency right?

Absolutely right.

DiscusHeckel
01/02/2018, 09:55 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions.

Someone on a UK forum also suggested IKS Blue II, which is supplied with Dastaco calcium reactors. It is adjustable down to 0.4 litres per hours, i.e. 6.67 ml per minutes. It is about £200.

I have heard Watson Marlow. This is also expensive.

I will look into Avast's pump, but have no idea how to get one in the UK.

Kevin Guthrie
01/02/2018, 12:09 PM
I've been using a Pulsatron - industrial chemical injection pump, about $250 new but you can find them used. 1st one lasted 15 years. Definitely not quiet but at 100 psi you can install it in your basement or utility room and plumb it to the sump with poly tubing.

There are different models with different max gallon per day feedrates. Look for 110v and low max feed but the feed is adjustable.

scuzy
01/02/2018, 01:11 PM
I've been using a spectrapure stand alone pump same pump they use in the liter meter for my kalk reactor works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tkeracer619
01/02/2018, 04:57 PM
I use masterflex. My oldest is probably 15 years old...