PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing a Tunze Silence Pro - Help!

Punchanello
01/03/2018, 11:31 PM
:wavehand:

I've just received the Tunze Silence Pro return pump for my all-in-one Cade aquarium. The total system volume approx 700 litres. Specs are:

Pump output: 11,000 l/h (2,900 US gal./h)
Pumping head: 4.65 m (183 in.), 1 ½" NPT hose connection.

My problem is the 1 ½" pump outlet and similarly huge barbed fitting for the hose. The tank is pre-plumbed to receive a 25mm hose from the return pump. I've had to plumb it like this: Tunze 1 ½" NPT => 1½ x 1" poly reducer =>1" barbed fitting => hose.

My main question is, what sort of impact will such a large reduction of size from the pump outlet to the rest of the plumbing have? I'm guessing reduced flow and increased back-pressure. Is there anything I can do to reduce the impact? Am I courting disaster?

I should also mention that I intend to run a manifold off a tee but that doesn't change the need to reduce the plumbing size.

Any advice appreciated. Thanks!

zooman72
01/03/2018, 11:48 PM
My main question is, what sort of impact will such a large reduction of size from the pump outlet to the rest of the plumbing have? I'm guessing reduced flow and increased back-pressure. Is there anything I can do to reduce the impact? Am I courting disaster?

A) You guessed right - reduced flow and increased pressure, but it may not be enough to matter. Depends on how much turnover/ flow you want through the sump...

B) Replumb the aquarium so that it matches the output diameter of your pump, or choose a different pump, but again, not sure it is going to be problematic...

C) I highly doubt you are headed for anything disastrous.

Run it and see if it will be sufficient. Too much flow would be worse than to little.

Punchanello
01/04/2018, 12:23 AM
Maybe disaster is too strong a word :hmm3:. I was thinking more along the lines of burning out my pump. When I saw the DIY engineering needed to fit the return I got a little worried.

Thanks for the response zooman. I can't fill the tank yet but I'm a bit more confident installing the pump with the educing fittings now and will see how it goes when it's wet.

I'm not too concerned about reducing the flow. I was aiming for 10x sump turnover so even with reduced efficiency and a manifold I'm in the ballpark.

zooman72
01/04/2018, 07:30 AM
Thanks for the response zooman.

You're welcome - I am almost sure it will work well enough, and good luck.

That pump is essentially a Sicce Syncra, and they seem to handle situations like yours.

LQT
01/04/2018, 03:24 PM
You’ll be fine. That Tunze is an AC pump. We throttle back AC pumps all the time using valves. By reducing the output plumbing diameter, you’re essentially doing the same thing. In fact, by throttle
Ing it down, you’ll actually see a savings in energy consumption.

Punchanello
01/04/2018, 10:54 PM
Thanks LQT. That's very reassuring. Think I'll be doing some plumbing this weekend :0