PDA

View Full Version : quite = quiet

africangrey
01/04/2018, 04:42 PM
Why are people using quite to described faint sound level, am I am missing something here? I often see in various boards using quite to describe sound level of fan or pump what does that mean. I can definitely understand misspell words but quite and quiet sounded so different unlike receive vs. recieve.

outy
01/04/2018, 05:07 PM
Why are people using quite to described faint sound level, am I am missing something here? I often see in various boards using quite to describe sound level of fan or pump what does that mean. I can definitely understand misspell words but quite and quiet sounded so different unlike receive vs. recieve.

Most tanks are noisy as hell.

My 210 is pretty quiet, you can barely hear the mp40qd when it spools up in different reef crest modes, and you can hear a little water running through the drain pipes.

It sounds like a small stream and is soothing because its faint. You have to listen for it to hear it.

That is quiet compared to most

top shelf
01/04/2018, 05:32 PM

Hate to say it but poor grammer would be my guess, I'll own up to it I'm guilty of it at times. Every so often my phone autocorrects to whatever it wants and I don't always pay attention.

It's about the same as saying a clownfish hosts an anemone when in reality an anemone hosts a clownfish.

Sk8r
01/04/2018, 05:36 PM
qui-et has two syllables. Quite, which means 'moderately to very' has only one.

eder10986
01/04/2018, 05:55 PM
Hate to say it but poor grammer would be my guess, I'll own up to it I'm guilty of it at times. Every so often my phone autocorrects to whatever it wants and I don't always pay attention.

It's about the same as saying a clownfish hosts an anemone when in reality an anemone hosts a clownfish.

*** grammar ***

thegrun
01/04/2018, 06:05 PM
I can handle the chemistry required to maintain a reef tank, but English grammar escapes me!

DreadCapn
01/04/2018, 06:15 PM
It's probably less about not knowing the proper word and more about people making typos. Quiet Quite is a fairly easy one to make.

jewlz
01/04/2018, 06:54 PM
Hate to have to point this out, but the title to this thread more incorrect than the typo it's referring to.

Quiet ≠ Quite
Quiet != Quite
Quiet ~= Quite
are all ways of saying
Quiet does not equal Quite

Hows that for being pedantic :deadhorse:

top shelf
01/04/2018, 07:14 PM
*** grammar ***

See my point exactly lol bad grammar and can't spell.

d2mini
01/04/2018, 08:52 PM
Many grammar errors these days are the result of auto correct and the OP not proofing before hitting the send button, not caring, or just missing it.
I type, "thire", auto correct changes it to "there", but I meant to say "their".
Happens all the time.

In the end... who cares enough to start a thread about it in the Reef Discussion forum? :rolleye1:
Move to the lounge.

djbon
01/05/2018, 02:40 AM
Some of us, reefers are coming from non-english speaking background. As such, please forgive us for our bad, grammatically incorrect english, whether it's due to auto-correction or we simply do not know how to type in proper english. Typo error could be the culprit as well.

mcgyvr
01/05/2018, 08:22 AM
Welcome to an auto-correct world...

sde1500
01/05/2018, 08:48 AM
Seriously this requires a post? People make typos, who cares?

africangrey
01/05/2018, 11:50 AM
Seriously this requires a post? People make typos, who cares?

I just thought may be quite has replaced quiet in the internet age, as I see quite more often than quiet for describing faint sound level.

Just like ghosting, benching and zombieing for whatever those means.

hkgar
01/05/2018, 02:10 PM
What we really want is a tank that is quite quiet and isn't that quaint. Ok, I'll quit.

ktownhero
01/05/2018, 02:13 PM

It's not something people "do". It's a typo, and I don't know what threads you've been reading but it's not something I see much.

ca1ore
01/05/2018, 10:43 PM
My votive wood bea four auto-concrete.....

dkeller_nc
01/06/2018, 09:25 PM
Sadly, it isn't all the fault of auto-correct. A lot of folks don't know, and don't consider correct word usage to be all that important.

Lose, for example, does not have the same meaning as loose, but I see this error very often at work. Generally, I've gotten arguments about whether it matters when I've had to require someone to correct it in a technical report.

rfgonzo
01/06/2018, 11:42 PM
OMG I was laughing at this since my 9 yr old just had both words on her spelling test Friday. Happy to say she picked it up quick. Not to change the subject but she also had the goofy word bivalves, I personally had no clue what this word meant, so we looked it up and the definition was ( an aquatic mollusk that has a compressed body enclosed within a hinged shell, such as oysters, clams, and scallops.)