PDA

View Full Version : Green Star Polyp - How to cut

LX20000
01/05/2018, 04:27 PM
Have a green star polyp I got 9 months ago. it was a rather large piece on a rock. Has doubled in size, growing onto the gravel bed and now glass.

1. I assume I can just scrape down on the glass to move it off the glass

2. How do I cut it? I would like to pare the part on the gravel away and add it to another tank. Do I just cut it with sharp razor blade?

3. When I put it in new tank, it will not be attached to anything... what do I do... push a few parts under rock? Spot glue it to a rock?

SDboatguy
01/05/2018, 04:40 PM
cut it , rip it , scrap it , tear it... that stuff is indestructible. Can be very invasive as well. I never tried to "frag" it, but wedge it between a couple rocks and you should be good to go

rogersb
01/05/2018, 05:15 PM
I've been short on supplies before and used a flat head screwdriver to take off chunks. You could rubber band it to a rock if you want to be sure it doesn't get swept away.

Sk8r
01/05/2018, 05:24 PM
Yes to both these. A scraper will get it off. Be careful, or you will have a very large 'lawn.'

newbie2014
01/05/2018, 08:12 PM
Mine does the same thing; crawling up the glass. I just let it crawl up 2-3 inches high. Then I use a pizza cutter (that I bought from a dollar store for this purpose) to scrape it off the side glass and cut it at the bottom corner. I can then super glue the mat to anything I want.

Works like a charm.