PDA

View Full Version : Pair of Mantis - how long will it last?

alprazo
01/06/2018, 10:16 AM
I added a female mantis to my male. First separated in the same tank and about a week ago I let her free. Initially, they avoided each other but by the next morning, they were sharing a burrow. It has been a week. They have created two burrows but 90% of the time they are together in the same one. I have seen zero aggression thus far. The species is Gonodactylus chiragra.

Will they continue to cohabitate or will I end up finding one or both dead from fighting?

Thanks for input/advice.

Hadla
01/06/2018, 10:44 AM
Wow that is cool... can you post a few pics of them together? Sorry I can’t help but I think one would eventually kill the other

alprazo
01/06/2018, 08:16 PM
https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2wiQzRsEx3Q/WlGCAbSDScI/AAAAAAAAACo/3B8JBKLa5icgbYQsp23qznbT5CZSufavgCEwYBhgL/s1600/IMG_20180106_205347.jpg

I'll take another shot when they move to the live rock burrow.

alprazo
01/07/2018, 08:18 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dQbNv8veKDo" framweborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hadla
01/08/2018, 08:19 AM
It’s so interesting to watch! Thanks ��

Gonodactylus
01/08/2018, 11:34 AM
Gonodactylus chiragra is a species that has a mate-guarding breeding system. When the female is ready to lay eggs she will occupy a cavity with a male who defends the cavity - particularly against other males. The cohabitation can last for a week or more until the female lays her eggs. A that point the male leaves. If he doesn't, the female may become aggressive an attempt to force him out. Non-reproductive females will not pair with a male..

One interesting feature of this mating system is that males remember females with whom they have paired and will not try to evict them from a cavity for about a month. This is how long the female will be brooding eggs fathered by the male.

Roy

Hadla
01/08/2018, 11:53 PM
That is so cool! I just might have to get a male to try it out and have another tank set up for him

alprazo
01/14/2018, 09:38 AM
Roy, I really appreciate your input. Thanks.

An update - it has been two weeks now, they remain together in the main cavity. During the day, I will occasionally find the female in the second cavity. Once the lights go out, they end up back together. No aggression witnessed thus far.

alprazo
02/19/2018, 04:30 PM
6 weeks and the two are still going strong. Looks like they will survive the honeymoon.