PDA

View Full Version : i want to risk adding bunch of tangs!

zheka757
01/06/2018, 10:05 PM
First of all, yes i know im most likely will be doing big, expensive mistake.
But there are some tangs that i really want to see in my tank. Im going based on 1 theory only, it is when there is more of them the less aggression it is (it worked on yellow tangs for me)

I have 8ft long 30'' deep tank, about 500gallon total system. Started tank 9 month ago. Right now i have only 1 3'' yellow tang in it.

I have 4 more tangs in my 75 gallon quarantine tank. they are:
about 4.5'' powder blue tang
about 7'' blonde naso tang
5'' purple tang
6'' hippo tang

Prior to 3 month ago all those tangs where happy in my main display tank, had to pull them out to treat them all from ich and my display tank also.
Now my tank is ich free and ready for fish to go back in with new ones that i want to buy. they are:
Achilles tang
powder brown tang
whitecheek tang
clown tang
scopas tang
sailfin tang
most of those new ones will be in sizes 2.5-4''
So in total there will be possibly 11 tangs, any ideas how i can possible have it accomplish?

Breadman03
01/06/2018, 10:10 PM
A 500 is atypical and many of the smaller tank rules are less applicable due to the space available. I’d suggest spending some time in the large tank forum and seeing what others have had success with.

zheka757
01/06/2018, 10:14 PM
..and those forums are where?

zheka757
01/06/2018, 10:21 PM
lol, im still new to this forum and didnt realize there is way more discussion boards then " "new to hubby"

Dmorty217
01/07/2018, 10:10 AM
A powder blue,brown, whitecheek, Achilles and Clown will not work together even in a 500g tank. The powder blue, Achilles and Clown are extremely aggressive tangs

on the spot
01/07/2018, 03:08 PM
i want to risk adding bunch of tangs!

First of all, yes i know im most likely will be doing big, expensive mistake...

OK then. Best of luck.

saf1
01/07/2018, 03:21 PM
Sounds like a whole lot of money burning a hole in ones pocket and a lot of lack of experience and ignorance. Recipe for disaster. On a serious note I would listen to what @Dmorty217 posted. He has a very large tank with a lot of total water volume not to mention a metric ton of experience. While the tank you describe may look and seem large tangs need room by their very DNA.

Sort of gets back to just because you can doesn't mean you should. Especially since you are already saying you had a breakout of ick. In any case good luck.

rvareef
01/07/2018, 03:54 PM
lets see some pics of this tank! I've got a tang sanctuary near short pump mall if you want to come take a look/get some ideas shoot me a message

Hal
01/07/2018, 04:01 PM
I'm not sure why you think disaster is likely. I had 7 ish tangs in my 250g with no issues. Of course, you have selected a few tangs that tend to be aggressive.

zheka757
01/07/2018, 08:20 PM
This is my main tank and quarantine with other 4 tangs

zheka757
01/07/2018, 08:24 PM
lets see some pics of this tank! I've got a tang sanctuary near short pump mall if you want to come take a look/get some ideas shoot me a message

I live in Florida! 34286

Sugar Magnolia
01/07/2018, 08:50 PM
So you're willing to risk killing fish to see if they can be housed together?

zheka757
01/07/2018, 09:40 PM
So you're willing to risk killing fish to see if they can be housed together?

Im willing to take the risk of challenge and expense, and if something goes wrong, then there is other tanks in the house for me to put them in!

...Dear members, i knew what i was getting into prior to starting this post. Im just going based on one theory and one theory only, and based on my little personal experience with yellow tangs. when i had just 2 of them, they almost killed each other, that aggression stopped as soon as i added 4 more yellow tangs. why the same theory cant be applied to other families of tangs!?
this is why i want to rick!

pfan151
01/07/2018, 09:59 PM
That many tangs can work in a tank your size, just not that many of the types you chose. Seems like your mind is made up though so I’m not really sure what the point of this post is but I hope it works out for you.

zheka757
01/07/2018, 10:40 PM
That many tangs can work in a tank your size, just not that many of the types you chose. Seems like your mind is made up though so I’m not really sure what the point of this post is but I hope it works out for you.

to hear people out, and maybe to see other peoples experience with trying something like that! ...youtube shows it is possible

KarenLR75
01/07/2018, 10:53 PM
Im willing to take the risk of challenge and expense, and if something goes wrong, then there is other tanks in the house for me to put them in!

...Dear members, i knew what i was getting into prior to starting this post. Im just going based on one theory and one theory only, and based on my little personal experience with yellow tangs. when i had just 2 of them, they almost killed each other, that aggression stopped as soon as i added 4 more yellow tangs. why the same theory cant be applied to other families of tangs!?
this is why i want to rick!

I think your new tank is gorgeous and it sounds on paper that you have enough gallons to make your goal possibly achievable. I understand about your experience with yellow tangs in terms of the #'s impacting the aggression. One word of caution (and it probably already occurred to you) and it is more because I'd love for you to be SUCCESSFUL and this is the only thought that occurred, in the wild yellow tangs will 'school' with other yellow tangs and I presume that many or all of the other tangs school with their own 'kind'.

You successfully achieved this in your tank and they all got along. I do not have a ton of experience with all the tang species, just a lot of enthusiasm and desire for everyone to have good outcomes...my concern would be when you start mixing certain species of tangs (or even within a species), maybe some can advise you on the ones on your list to obtain, if some slight changes might help ensure your success??

We actually lucked out over 20 years ago when we had 3 tangs in an UNDERSIZED tank that normally do NOT get along (but they were still some of the more peaceful types of tangs that being said..). I definitely would not do this again as I understand now more about what just ONE tang needs in terms of swimming area, etc. and you are not talking about putting them into an UNDERSIZED tan.

I'm so glad you have a back up tank in case something goes wrong.

I wish you happy outcomes for you and your fish!

PS: LOL, I didn't realize I was posting at same time you were. The post above was typed before I saw your last reply. Here is the link to the Large Tank forum if you need it: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=252

zheka757
01/07/2018, 11:19 PM
KarenLR Thank you for the kind words and sharing your experience! it was pleasure to read your comment!

..thank you members for all for your reply's!

saf1
01/08/2018, 06:33 PM
selected a few tangs that tend to be aggressive.

That is more or less why along with an opening statement of: doing big, expensive mistake.

Don't get me wrong, it could work if the tank was established and enough rock work to provide cover. It would also be achievable provided the right tangs are selected. I'm not sure success will be possible based on the aggressive selection or relative open swim lanes. Compare that to say 02many's tank of 400 gallons (I think) that has more fish including tangs with no issues.

@KarenLR75 - I wouldn't say you can't do what you desire. Nor would I say just because you see it on youtube means it is possible either. What I do know though is this. Based on the image you posted above (nice tank btw and frame) you have the room and gallons. What is missing is the maturity of the tank and cover. Meaning tangs graze, they swim, and some have territories. Unless that is an earlier image you don't have that yet. Do some searches in the large tank subforum - O2's tank comes to mind of a lot of fish in a mature tank. Good example. Others members such as @Dmorty217 provided good information.

Don't throw caution into the wind and you should be fine.

zheka757
01/08/2018, 08:55 PM
What is missing is the maturity of the tank and cover. Meaning tangs graze, they swim, and some have territories.

this was a current picture. maybe not a clear picture. ill post more.

zheka757
01/08/2018, 09:00 PM
some of the pics

zheka757
01/08/2018, 09:11 PM
i need to figure out how to post pictures here. yes the pictures i posted above do look like a bare rocks.....

lifeoffaith
01/08/2018, 09:12 PM
Definitely an immature tank based on the rock work in your pictures, and you've stated yourself that you're new to this. While I'd say you probably have the gallons to do a good number of tangs, your choices would be ill advised for sure. Forget the fact that your choices are not a good idea, your tank isn't ready to handle the bioload.

shred5
01/08/2018, 09:38 PM
A powder blue,brown, whitecheek, Achilles and Clown will not work together even in a 500g tank. The powder blue, Achilles and Clown are extremely aggressive tangs

This right here. You can keep allot of tangs just stay away from these. I had a small powder brown and it tried to kill all my tangs and then any new fish. The brown was added last. Powder blues are even far worse.

Honestly this sounds like a bait thread.

zheka757
01/08/2018, 09:54 PM
This right here. You can keep allot of tangs just stay away from these. I had a small powder brown and it tried to kill all my tangs and then any new fish. The brown was added last. Powder blues are even far worse.

Honestly this sounds like a bait thread.

I already had powder blue tang for 6-7 month with all the other tangs i already have. His doing fine with others

KarenLR75
01/08/2018, 10:05 PM
@KarenLR75 - I wouldn't say you can't do what you desire. Nor would I say just because you see it on youtube means it is possible either. What I do know though is this. Based on the image you posted above (nice tank btw and frame) you have the room and gallons. What is missing is the maturity of the tank and cover. Meaning tangs graze, they swim, and some have territories. Unless that is an earlier image you don't have that yet. Do some searches in the large tank subforum - O2's tank comes to mind of a lot of fish in a mature tank. Good example. Others members such as @Dmorty217 provided good information.

Don't throw caution into the wind and you should be fine.

Hey saf1, just to clarify, I'm not the one with the 500 gallon tank who started this thread. I wanted to acknowledge the beauty I can see in her future tank and do what I could to help her first time posting on the boards and not knowing there were other forums...to be a more positive (AND educational) experience.

Since she's had multiple tangs that are being held in her 75 gallon QT tank and has mentioned there are other tanks in her house, I could be wrong but she doesn't strike me as 'new' to the hobby. She shared she ended up in the 'New to the Hobby' forum without realizing there were other forums where she could have posted the question.

On her list of other tangs she hopes to acquire at some point, I mainly wanting to open up the possibility of maybe reconsidering the types of tangs and not getting caught up in the specific number tied to a specific tang as I am NO tang expert plus I can only DREAM of having a 500 gallon tank..lol..but was hoping those with experience with multiple varieties may be able to weigh in with some 'alternates' to consider if a specific clown is more crazy aggressive than any of the rest.

I'm thinking you got us confused as I only have a 112 gallon tank (6 ft long) and we have only 1 tang - a white tail bristletooth tang and after consulting with others and our LFS, he is going to be our 'showpiece' fish so in OUR situation, we are not going to introduce another tang into the mix (had considered a yellow).

Other than the tang we have 1 blue throat trigger, a mated pair of percula clowns, a piggy melanarus wrasse, a Randall's Goby & his shrimp, 1 green mandarin, and 3 fire fish. We also have a mixed reef tank (not fish only).

Our biggest thing we wrestle with is whether to do a small school of chromis and/or anthias. Just want to clarify who I was so I don't take away from OP's thread.

saf1
01/08/2018, 10:21 PM
Hey saf1, just to clarify, I'm not the one with the 500 gallon tank who started this thread.

Got it - I guess I got mixed up in the post. Apologies.

Yes, I see what you are trying to say but the problem is how the thread is started I guess. To quote "i want to risk adding bunch of tangs!" and "First of all, yes i know im most likely will be doing big, expensive mistake.".

I honestly do not know their experience level and more than likely it won't matter what any of us say or recommend. What I do know based on the images posted is that the tank isn't mature enough for several tangs ignoring the issue of those they want to keep. As you know they are constant grazers and will compete for food regardless of supplemental feeding. There is plenty of swim lanes but there are not enough places to retreat.

You can have a lot of fish in a tank - take O2manyfish's tank for example - but it should be established first. I'm in the progress of upgrading to a 240 gallon tank and there is no way I'll be adding any "additional" fish once I move my 40 breeder into it. The rock work just won't be established with life...just the way I see it.

Again - thanks for pointing that out my error - wasn't my intent and the bit about being more positive (AND educational) is noted. I probably don't have the best bed side manners but my intent is to safe the OP money, frustration, and has trivial it may seem, the fishes lives.

KarenLR75
01/08/2018, 11:18 PM
Got it - I guess I got mixed up in the post. Apologies.

Yes, I see what you are trying to say but the problem is how the thread is started I guess. To quote "i want to risk adding bunch of tangs!" and "First of all, yes i know im most likely will be doing big, expensive mistake.".

I honestly do not know their experience level and more than likely it won't matter what any of us say or recommend. What I do know based on the images posted is that the tank isn't mature enough for several tangs ignoring the issue of those they want to keep. As you know they are constant grazers and will compete for food regardless of supplemental feeding. There is plenty of swim lanes but there are not enough places to retreat.

You can have a lot of fish in a tank - take O2manyfish's tank for example - but it should be established first. I'm in the progress of upgrading to a 240 gallon tank and there is no way I'll be adding any "additional" fish once I move my 40 breeder into it. The rock work just won't be established with life...just the way I see it.

Again - thanks for pointing that out my error - wasn't my intent and the bit about being more positive (AND educational) is noted. I probably don't have the best bed side manners but my intent is to safe the OP money, frustration, and has trivial it may seem, the fishes lives.

saf1 - no apologies needed! I think you and all who posted were posting from a position of concern, education, etc. I definitely didn't mean a 'poke' to you on bedside manner.

I would say the OP, our fellow aquarist, maybe got off to a rough start with the wording choice of the initial post because after she clarified, I was relieved to hear she was prepared with other tanks and was able to glean she had experience. I don't think the fish should ever be considered trivial...I still feel horrible for accidentally killing 2 fire fish. I'm hoping since we've heard a bit more by now and even though she first indicated she may be making a mistake..it seems she has plans in place in event of said mistake/mistakes.

I've learned a lot just from this thread and comments about the new tank maybe not being ready. I'm not able to tell things like that so I have appreciated what everyone has had to say.

shred5
01/09/2018, 07:54 AM
I already had powder blue tang for 6-7 month with all the other tangs i already have. His doing fine with others

Just wait.

My last post to this thread because you obviously are not going to listen to anyone so I do not know why you started this thread unless it was a bait thread just to **** people off.