PDA

View Full Version : How do I get rid of these little monsters?? Help please!

Bolo Tran
01/11/2018, 11:46 AM

First there was 1. Then there was 10. Now they’re in the hundreds or even thousands! They’re overtaking my tank and I have no clue as to what they are. They’re ugly and unsightly. Are there any natural predators that will eat them? Please help!

tkeracer619
01/11/2018, 12:02 PM
Palythoa aka button polyps. They're aweful things. Be careful they can contain palytoxin which can be deadly. At least I think that is what you are talking about.

ryeguyy84
01/11/2018, 12:06 PM
the zoas? if so before you do anything read about palytoxin. might be easier to pull the rock.

^didn't see this post. . . what he said haha

tonyreef
01/11/2018, 12:29 PM
They look like majano anemones to me?

TokiHacker
01/11/2018, 12:43 PM
They look like majano anemones to me?

Negative. These are def. Palys and be very careful of paly toxin when removing.

removal of rock is one of the safest ways to do it.

RobZilla04
01/11/2018, 12:43 PM
Razor blade, glove, patience. I just removed a bunch of zoas that were growing out of hand and into a space where I did not want them. I managed to save a bunch on frag plugs for a buddy.

Run carbon afterward to help remove the toxins from the water. Don't do this if you have cuts or open wounds as there is a medical danger.

RobZilla04
01/11/2018, 12:44 PM
Razor blade, glove, patience. I just removed a bunch of zoas that were growing out of hand and into a space where I did not want them. I managed to save a bunch on frag plugs for a buddy.

Run carbon afterward to help remove the toxins from the water. Don't do this if you have cuts or open wounds as there is a medical danger.

Double post sorry.

Bolo Tran
01/11/2018, 12:48 PM
They’ve gotten everywhere. On rocks,sand, frag plugs. some even attach to the glass. I know for sure they’re not majanos but they are pests like aptasia and just spreads like wild fire. If it was just that rock that would be easy but they’re literally all over.

ReeferNoob4ever
01/11/2018, 02:40 PM
It will be like lawn maintenance. You have to carefully keep them in check by removing them when they grow out of hand back to manageable.

Although I have often times wondered what would happen if you put a stinging coral next to it and let it kill them.

HBtank
01/11/2018, 02:54 PM
They’ve gotten everywhere. On rocks,sand, frag plugs. some even attach to the glass. I know for sure they’re not majanos but they are pests like aptasia and just spreads like wild fire. If it was just that rock that would be easy but they’re literally all over.

This makes it sound less like zoas/buttons, but that is what I thought at first glance. Can you get another picture? What does it look like retracted/disturbed?

Edit: Hmmmm, this looks similar in the pic and behavior (ID'ed as Brooding anemone (Epiactis prolifera):

Green-button-polyp-or-aiptasia-neither? (https://www.nano-reef.com/forums/topic/311037-green-button-polyp-or-aiptasia-neither/)

https://www.nano-reef.com/applications/core/interface/imageproxy/imageproxy.php?img=http://i1250.photobucket.com/albums/hh532/eitallent/MyAtlantis/5996c741.jpg&key=cfb6bd84ac8107668b4420cf2ccfd14dded8c658c9458edf7a43c9a97cce82c1

ReefkeeperZ
01/11/2018, 05:09 PM
HPtank for the win. treat them like you would aiptasia or majano when killing them off make sure your running carbon for nutrient export. rotten luck man.

ReefkeeperZ
01/11/2018, 05:10 PM
and by rotten luck I mean "it's rotten luck to wind up with them"

Bolo Tran
01/19/2018, 03:04 PM
So I think it’s safe to say there’s no natural predator that will eat these pests. What’s the best way to kill these suckers? Aiptasia x or is there a better solution?

venomcc
01/19/2018, 03:13 PM
They are definitely not aiptasia, but seem similar. Therefore you might have luck with a copper band butterfly eating them. It cleaned up my tank of them.

mcgyvr
01/19/2018, 03:18 PM
One mans trash is another mans treasure..
I'd just get corals that will grow over them/taller than them and enjoy..

You will not find a predator that will go after them and not attack other corals..
Its all manual removal/targeted attack if you must..

No easy button here..

TrojanScott
01/19/2018, 03:31 PM
I'd try Aiptasia X. I've had recent luck with it killing majanos. Turn of all pumps, and just coat it with it. Cake it on. Wait half an hour. I know those aren't majanos, but not your common aiptasia either. I doubt a copperband would touch those. (they don't with majanos) Maybe a Klein's butterfly, that would be my only suggestion for a fish that may pick on those, and possibly leave coral alone. I've had hit and miss with that fish.