View Full Version : Tang help please

zboy34
01/12/2018, 09:09 PM
I have setup a 110 gal mixed reef tank. Current inhabitants are:
Flame Angel
Oscelaris clown
Yellow Corris Wrasse
Purple Firefish

I'm wanting suggestions on some tangs. I really like the Powder Brown, Purple, and a Bristletooth. I figured the difference in body shape would help. Would these work or not? What order would you add them, and what other fish would make good tank mates?

mike61289
01/12/2018, 11:54 PM
Your tank is on the small side for 3 tangs. You could probably get away with the bristletooth alone, but I wouldn't get more than the one tang. Tangs are territorial and like to swim in large amounts of water. 2 or more tangs in a 110 gallon would just lead to stressed out fish, which can trigger disease and ultimately deaths.

zboy34
01/13/2018, 05:16 AM
What about just the purple?

mike61289
01/13/2018, 07:17 AM
Purples are one of the most territorial tangs out there. To keep your other tank mates and future tank mates happy, I would stick to the bristletooth. The bristletooth is more mellow and generally smaller than a purple or powder brown.

zboy34
01/13/2018, 07:36 AM
Purples are one of the most territorial tangs out there. To keep your other tank mates and future tank mates happy, I would stick to the bristletooth. The bristletooth is more mellow and generally smaller than a purple or powder brown.

Ok thanks

nikon187
01/13/2018, 01:48 PM
The purple will be fine in a 110g as the only tang.

OrionN
01/14/2018, 07:37 AM
What is the dimention of your 110? 48X24X24 which is a standard 120, IMO, is fine for 2 Tangs. Really how you arrange your tank and how agressive your tangs are. Powder brown and Tomini tangs are OK. purple is more agressive.

zboy34
01/14/2018, 07:47 AM
What is the dimention of your 110? 48X24X24 which is a standard 120, IMO, is fine for 2 Tangs. Really how you arrange your tank and how agressive your tangs are. Powder brown and Tomini tangs are OK. purple is more agressive.

Tank is 60"x24"x18". I have come to the conclusion that I am only going to be getting 1 Tang. I know all tangs get ich, but would like to know which one fights it off the best, or is least likely to get it.

OrionN
01/14/2018, 11:56 AM
You should be able to keep any of the tangs other the one that mature at 9+ inches, if all you have is one.
The three you listed are all easy tangs to keep. Pick what ever tang you like.

Reefpuck
01/14/2018, 01:49 PM
I think like anything else...every fish is hit or miss on how they'll act...with some exceptions obviously. I used to have a powder blue and chevron tang in a 120g together, and they were perfect neighbors with eachother and the other fish. Both were about 3". I only had them for about 2 years before I had to take the tank down for personal reasons...

zboy34
01/14/2018, 03:24 PM
What would be an alternative "show" fish if I didn't go with a tang? It needs to be reef safe.

JustinM
01/14/2018, 05:14 PM
Not every tang gets ich. Especially if you QT, no tangs will get ich then.

JustinM
01/14/2018, 05:15 PM
What would be an alternative "show" fish if I didn't go with a tang? It needs to be reef safe.

Fairy wrasses make great show fish, the lineatus, rhomboid, flame, pintail, isosceles, etc.

OrionN
01/14/2018, 06:50 PM
IMO, tangs are showfish but also great utility fish. Got to have them to easily manage algae. You can manage without them but much harder in a 110 gal tank.

zboy34
01/14/2018, 06:52 PM
IMO, tangs are showfish but also great utility fish. Got to have them to easily manage algae. You can manage without them but much harder in a 110 gal tank.

Your opinion on a purple????

OrionN
01/14/2018, 10:39 PM
if you want to keep two tangs, then add the Purple last. If you just want 1 tang, then the add the Purple any time.
I love Purple tang, but I had problem with the Purple tang fighting with my Yellow in my 320 gal tank. He did not have any problem with my Powder blue, Foxface, or Cheveron.

Dean Ladd
01/17/2018, 08:27 PM
Purple Tangs are beautiful creatures. I have had the same Purple Tank in my 135 for 17 years. It is the king of the system. It will not allow me to add any additional tangs to the system,which I tried twice and it did not end well. I tried every trick in the book to add the additional tang with no success. As well, adding any additional fish to my system must be approved by the king. Most additions I have made usually are approved but I must quarantine the new addition to assure it is healthy and eating well before adding it because the Purple Tang will put a lot of stress on the addition until approved.

ksmmike
01/21/2018, 03:50 PM
I have a small yellow and a small Kole Eye in a 125 gallon and they are best of friends. The Kole Eye picks at the rock and glass all day and the yellow follows him around. As long as you don't add the same types of tangs at different times (like adding a yellow and then a purple two months later) but add 2 at the same time of different types, like the yellow and kole, your success will be much greater. Also, the younger the are, usually the less aggressive they are, however both of mine are very peaceful with each other and the other fish. I was very lucky. Look at the free copy of Coral magazine online and read the article on tangs. It will tell you about each type, how big they get, how aggressive they are and so on. Its a good read if you want to pick tangs.
Mike

scooter31707
01/22/2018, 10:35 AM
I have a small yellow and a small Kole Eye in a 125 gallon and they are best of friends. The Kole Eye picks at the rock and glass all day and the yellow follows him around. As long as you don't add the same types of tangs at different times (like adding a yellow and then a purple two months later) but add 2 at the same time of different types, like the yellow and kole, your success will be much greater. Also, the younger the are, usually the less aggressive they are, however both of mine are very peaceful with each other and the other fish. I was very lucky. Look at the free copy of Coral magazine online and read the article on tangs. It will tell you about each type, how big they get, how aggressive they are and so on. Its a good read if you want to pick tangs.
Mike

I think your situation is totally different from the OP situation. I'm assuming your 125 is 6' tank. If so, 2 extra feet makes a big difference when it comes to talking about tangs. Also the Kole and Yellow tangs are IMO, slightly aggressive. The OP is talking about a Purple and Powder Brown which can be very aggressive and territorial as mentioned above. IMO, to all of this, I would do the Powder Brown. IMO, I think a purple needs a 6' tank.

zboy34
01/22/2018, 10:43 AM
My tank is a 5' x 2' x1.5' I am really leaning towards just 1 purple tang. Should he be ok?