PDA

View Full Version : Online fish

oldhead
01/14/2018, 05:07 PM
Is there a better time, temperature wise, to order fish online?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hijinks
01/14/2018, 05:13 PM
I generally do it any other season but winter.

SRQreef3r
01/14/2018, 05:24 PM
any time that the weather isn't extreme is best

JTJreef
01/14/2018, 09:03 PM
I think it depends on several factors. Summer heat can be the hardest on them. Definitely helps to have the shipped order held at the UPS or Fedex terminal. I just placed an order from the Divers Den. Its been a very cold month. Temps never getting above freezing. The order was held at the terminal and I picked it up right when they opened. Order was still warm and the fish in great shape. So extremes should be avoided, but can sometimes be worked around anyway. For NC I’d say spring and fall is the best time for shipping

homer1475
01/15/2018, 06:07 AM
I order year round, and it gets super cold here(hasn't been above 0 in 3 weeks!!). Typically I ask for extra heat packs and have the package held at the local fedex/UPS store for pickup so it's not sitting on a cold truck all day.

Ironically I just ordered from bluezoo, they actually called me to tell me they would not home deliver because my temps would be below 20F(great CS actually looking up my local temps!). Again I had to pick it up at my local FedEX pickup location.

MuShu
01/15/2018, 01:15 PM
I normally order in early spring or late fall.

If I need something when the weather is too hot or cold, I ask for it to be held at the local PO or UPS location and I pick it up.

oldhead
01/15/2018, 01:30 PM
I normally buy from my LFS, but I'm just preparing in case they don't have one of the fish I want. So far the have stocked at one time or another all the fish I have decided on except for a black capped basslet.

626rEEfz
01/15/2018, 03:41 PM
Vendors are normally pretty good in packing fishes/ corals to ensure healthy arrival so ordering year round should be okay. I suggest monitoring your weather and avoid deliveries if you are expecting a heavy snow storm in the horizon. Little common sense goes a long way.