PDA

View Full Version : So hard to find a return pump that is submersible (or external), inline...

fixingstill
01/17/2018, 11:53 AM
So hard to find a return pump that is submersible (or external), inline (with inlet and outlet), and have NPT (1/2", 3/4", or 1") thread for direct PVT connection that is around 500 gph to 800.
I see lifegard quiet one has a few models but they aren't cheap. Anyone found any on amazon?

billdogg
01/17/2018, 12:03 PM
eheim 1260 or 1262

jamie1981
01/17/2018, 12:07 PM
eheim 1260 or 1262

Would be my choice, but not cheap like they want.

fixingstill
01/17/2018, 12:15 PM
They might be better design and quality but, even if I can effort them, I am not willing to pay 8 times of those on amazon.

outy
01/17/2018, 12:18 PM
They might be better design and quality but, even if I can effort them, I am not willing to pay 8 times of those on amazon.

Then buy a jeboa DCP series pump, they can be ran external with no issues at all.

My DCP 10000 and 2500 are both external and run cool, no need to be in water at all.

ca1ore
01/17/2018, 12:36 PM
How cheap are you looking for? QuietOne 4000 does over 1,000 gph and is $65. If that's too expensive you may be in the wrong hobby :lol:

fixingstill
01/17/2018, 02:52 PM
I know the lifegard quiet one 3000 758GPH for $53 can do what I need but I am getting the Uniclife 800 GPH for $22.98. I will see if the threads are NPT.
I am cheap, not because I can't afford the good ones. It is because I don't want to give my money to those who marks up 10 times of their cost. I know it is a niche market but still. I am businessman and try to make wise decision with the consideration of everything else - quality, service, support, etc.

Yes, I am cheap. ha.

ca1ore
01/17/2018, 03:41 PM
Penny wise ..... pound foolish ..... IMO, of course :)

outy
01/17/2018, 03:48 PM
Uniclife 800 GPH for $22.98.

Yes, I am cheap. ha.

Not cheap LOL at 55w your spending 75 for electricity cost and the 22.98

So about 100 the first year of use.

As opposed to a DC pump for 65 bucks that uses 35 a year in electricity at a 100 the first year

But will save you more the second year

mcgyvr
01/17/2018, 03:50 PM
Uniclife pumps are absolute garbage...
They are the lowest quality everything...

slief
01/17/2018, 04:16 PM

I guess buying equipment that is proven to last much longer than you have been in the hobby isn’t for you. Just because something is cheap on Amazon doesn’t mean anything for reliability. One thing you will learn after years or even decades of being in this hobby is that sometimes paying a bit more for your critical equipment means reliability that you’re not going to find buying a pump that is 8x cheaper than the above mentioned Eheims which aren’t all that expensive (relatively speaking) to begin with. Those eheims are proven to last well over 10 years and given their reliability, you will NOT find another pump like that at its cost with the same track record. Not even close. And how are you going to feel when your 8x cheaper pump dies while you aren’t home and you come home to a dead tank? I’d bet your livestock will be worth 8x more than the Eheim..

fixingstill
01/17/2018, 05:12 PM
True.
This pump is to be used for cleaning the sump or closed loop so it is not critical but, yes, I understand your point.

Thanks.

slief
01/17/2018, 05:20 PM
True.
This pump is to be used for cleaning the sump or closed loop so it is not critical but, yes, I understand your point.

Thanks.

Now that makes a difference. Your initial post mentioned return pump. I think of the return pump as the one that sends water from my sump to my display which in my mind is my single most critical piece of equipment where failures are intolerable. It’s the one piece of equipment that I will never cut corners on. For “cleaning” a sump what ever that means (I don’t need to clean my sump) then that may be a different story as it sounds like an application of little usage.

jda
01/17/2018, 06:03 PM
If you have to go as cheap as possible, check your local Craigslist or see if there is a local Hobby Club to get some used gear.

billdogg
01/17/2018, 06:33 PM
I guess buying equipment that is proven to last much longer than you have been in the hobby isn’t for you. Just because something is cheap on Amazon doesn’t mean anything for reliability. One thing you will learn after years or even decades of being in this hobby is that sometimes paying a bit more for your critical equipment means reliability that you’re not going to find buying a pump that is 8x cheaper than the above mentioned Eheims which aren’t all that expensive (relatively speaking) to begin with. Those eheims are proven to last well over 10 years and given their reliability, you will NOT find another pump like that at its cost with the same track record. Not even close. And how are you going to feel when your 8x cheaper pump dies while you aren’t home and you come home to a dead tank? I’d bet your livestock will be worth 8x more than the Eheim..

Saved me from typing the very same thing. One of my 1262's is well over 30 years old. I've run it 24/7 since 1987 or so,have changed the impeller maybe twice, and clean it maybe yearly if I remember to.

True.

Thanks.

Now that makes a difference. Your initial post mentioned return pump. I think of the return pump as the one that sends water from my sump to my display which in my mind is my single most critical piece of equipment where failures are intolerable. It’s the one piece of equipment that I will never cut corners on. For “cleaning” a sump what ever that means (I don’t need to clean my sump) then that may be a different story as it sounds like an application of little usage.

And this.

DesertReefT4r
01/17/2018, 08:15 PM
Quality work horse pumps Ehiem and Mag Drive. Both high quality and both priced at a good range. Jebao DC pumps are the cheapest I would buy and recommend, most people have good luck with them.

outy
01/18/2018, 12:14 AM
Jebao DC pumps are the cheapest I would buy and recommend, most people have good luck with them.

I'm impressed with my 2 DCP's

Keeping fingers crossed for time used.