PDA

View Full Version : Best microscope for the money

fishdip22
01/18/2018, 07:45 PM
So I want to be able to look at the cells of and close up inspections of items in my reef tank such as a dead fish gills or diffrent types of algae found in the tank for better ID I would also like to be able to hook it up to the computer so I can capture the images. Not looking to brake the bank but willing to pay for something that will be more user friendly and lead to better results for a noob.

Tripod1404
01/18/2018, 08:40 PM
This maybe?

http://www.amscope.com/compound-microscopes/40x-2500x-quintuple-plan-infinity-kohler-laboratory-trinocular-compound-microscope-18mp-usb3-0-camera.html

It would be hard to find something that is user-friendly and give good results. User friendly ones are always almost like toy microscopes for children, and high-quality ones are mainly produced for professional use, so they assume the user has the know-how to operate it (The last microscope I got even didn't have a user manual, it was just in a plain box :) ).

That being said, you can learn how to use them easily. I am sure there are online guides (both videos and pdfs) that you can check. Just start with lower magnification ranges like 4X and go above from that.

bertoni
01/18/2018, 09:37 PM
I don't know much about microscopes, but they are available in a broad price range. A dissecting scope might be better and less expensive for looking at larger subjects.

Dan_P
01/19/2018, 09:53 AM
I bought an Amscope with a camera which I think will meet your needs. I had two years. Which model, which camera and which light source will be driven by a compromise of your needs and budget.

I bought mine to identify alga and cyanobacteria, but there were times when I wish that I had dissecting microscope for larger objects and a deeper depth of field.

I would be happy to supply more information.

zeebies
03/12/2018, 11:55 AM
I have an older Amano OM36 microscope. I'd love to get some pictures of algae, etc. Is it best to get a camera adapter for an existing microscope, or just get a separate device like the AmScope?

I'm not really that picky - just want to get some pictures up on the computer for ID-ing things.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Dan_P
03/12/2018, 01:52 PM
I have an older Amano OM36 microscope. I'd love to get some pictures of algae, etc. Is it best to get a camera adapter for an existing microscope, or just get a separate device like the AmScope?

I'm not really that picky - just want to get some pictures up on the computer for ID-ing things.

Thanks for any suggestions.

I can’t comment on what is best optically. I think the camera adapter might be cheaper than a new microscope with a camera eye piece. I bought a stereo microscope (Amscope) with the camera (MD139) replacing one of the eye pieces to keep the cost down.

zeebies
03/12/2018, 05:10 PM
Thanks, Dan P. I'm looking at cameras that go into one eyepiece port on the microscope. Do a have a recommendation on megapixels needed to get a good shot? Looks like microscope cameras can range from low end, 1.3 MP, then proceed upward.

I don't want to go crazy - I'd just like to get a good look at algae, bugs, etc.

bertoni
03/12/2018, 10:53 PM
A 1 mp camera should be fine for identifying organisms.