PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Red Sea Coral Pro Salt for filling new tank.

Stingray122
01/20/2018, 08:33 PM
Hi everyone, just finalizing my first reef build! Just have a quick question about doing the final fill with saltwater. I have heard that there are some issues with the Coral Pro salt and that it should be used not too long after mixing. I will be filling a 40 breeder with a 20ish gallon sump. Should I mix individual batches in a few 5 gallon buckets or mix the salt directly into the tank? Will there be issues with precipitation if mixed directly into the tank? I will be using RO/DI (My line runs directly into the room with the tank so I could place it directly into the tank or into buckets depending on the method that is recommended). Thanks for any input! Getting excited (:

billdogg
01/20/2018, 10:49 PM
This first time it will be ok to mix in the tank, but be careful to sneak up on your final salinity level. It's easy to overshoot the last couple points. Really, you should think about a brute can or other storage and mix there and pump it in, especially for future water changes. Once there is livestock you CANNOT mix it in the tank.

Stingray122
01/20/2018, 11:02 PM
Thanks! Thought about doing it that way with the brute can, but space is a little tight. That thought might change later, but I don't think the can would be used an insane amount after the initial fill. Again that might change later though.

fishnpups
01/21/2018, 12:48 AM
Definitely recommend the brute can, or at least a sump to try to premix it, since adding fresh before the salt, without it being dissolved could shock a fish.

billdogg
01/21/2018, 07:51 AM
I would highly recommend finding space someplace for a storage container - the bigger the better. It will not only make your day to day maintenance easier, there will be times that you need a large volume of water NOW. Sometimes the best fix for a problem is a large water change, and the sooner, the better. If you do not have that capability, it can just compound whatever the problem is. I use a 55g barrel for storage/mixing, but one of my projects for the near future is to add a larger container to be used solely for ro/di storage.