PDA

View Full Version : ID please...sorry I'm new to the hobby!

930Reef
01/21/2018, 05:26 PM
Hi all,
New to the hobby. First, thanks for being out there and willing to help. I hope this isn't a stupid question, but I just set up my first cured LR in my tank yesterday, and after the lights were on for a couple of hours, this guy made himself visible. Just curious what it is, and if you have any care advice (flow, lighting, etc.). I currently have no fish in the tank. Just this LR. LED fixture set to about 20% with both white and actinic lighting.

Thanks in advance! (Hope my photo works).

Mike

https://photos.app.goo.gl/bSMNSIkOxUcCq3hA3

930Reef
01/21/2018, 05:29 PM
Hold on...Sorry.

930Reef
01/21/2018, 05:34 PM
Attached is the working pic. Any help is greatly appreciated. Sorry about the mixup.

eastlake
01/22/2018, 10:07 AM
kenya tree. Whether you want to keep it or not depends on what your goals for the tank are. They're super easy to care for and will multiply like gangbusters if just left to their own means. If you regularly prune and remove the clippings that they pinch off on their own you can keep them in check. The problem lies within the pieces that drift away at night that you don't see and propagate elsewhere. They do make a nice looking forest if you keep them clustered. Now, if you're wanting to do an sps tank, get rid of it. It'll quickly overgrow them and choke them out.

930Reef
01/22/2018, 10:11 AM
Thanks! Not sure what goals are for tank. I was thinking softies but some sps look really cool, and this hobby has quickly become addictive. It looks like little tiny ones are growing elsewhere on the rock too. Am I correct in assuming if I want to ever get rid of them I can just remove my hand? And just leave them for now while I set up and establish tank?

Again, I can't tell you how much I appreciate the help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

930Reef
01/22/2018, 10:12 AM
*remove them BY hand. Sorry. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

albano
01/22/2018, 10:21 AM
Can be very hard to remove once established ... IMO get rid of them now