PDA

View Full Version : Reefbrite power supply

beertech
01/22/2018, 08:36 AM
I have two 48" blue reefbrite strips.
They are the older models, and both power supplies have burnt out. I've heard that this was a common problem and that they replaced the power supplies with better ones. I'm wondering what the specs would be on the new ones so I can find a replacement. Here are the specs on the burnt out adapters:
24v, 60watts, 2.5 amps.
Should I look for 90 watt adapters to avoid them burning out again?

mcgyvr
01/22/2018, 09:02 AM
I have two 48" blue reefbrite strips.
They are the older models, and both power supplies have burnt out. I've heard that this was a common problem and that they replaced the power supplies with better ones. I'm wondering what the specs would be on the new ones so I can find a replacement. Here are the specs on the burnt out adapters:
24v, 60watts, 2.5 amps.
Should I look for 90 watt adapters to avoid them burning out again?

Its entirely possible that they do not draw more than 60W but that the power supplies provided just weren't of good quality or that you put them in an enclosed area causing them to overheat,etc..

But yes you are 100% ok going with a higher wattage rating while matching the voltage.. The lights will only "draw" what they need from the power supply and will not be "forced" to be overpowered..

beertech
01/22/2018, 09:05 AM
Perfect,
Thanks for the quick reply !
Now I can get em up and running again!

stpauli914
08/16/2018, 05:26 PM
This may have just answered one of my questions!

No problem using a 120W Reefbrite power supply in place of the 90W for my 36" XHO's?

Aaron

mcgyvr
08/16/2018, 08:21 PM
This may have just answered one of my questions!

No problem using a 120W Reefbrite power supply in place of the 90W for my 36" XHO's?

Aaron

Correct...no problems...the load only draws what it needs