PDA

View Full Version : What is this, dead algae?

moneymm
01/22/2018, 01:11 PM
I def had some algae on the sand bed, some algae on some of the rocks..

I just did a 25 gallon water change and after turning the lights back on and the cloudyness going away i am left with this all over the rock.

Is it dead algae or something?

AlSimmons
01/22/2018, 01:20 PM
Can you get a picture of it without the blues on? I don't really know what it is exactly, but you might want to get a small powerhead or a turkey baster and see if blows off. It might just be an accumulation of detritus.

moneymm
01/22/2018, 01:44 PM
i dont think its the lights, i think its just my phone adjusting to the bright lights.

this should be better.

Tripod1404
01/22/2018, 01:49 PM
Looks like a type of encrusting sponge.

mcgyvr
01/22/2018, 03:11 PM
Looks like dead algae to me..
Covered in detritus,etc...

but it still isn't the best picture for an ID.. too small.. still too purple..

AlSimmons
01/22/2018, 03:12 PM
i dont think its the lights, i think its just my phone adjusting to the bright lights.

this should be better.

All this just appeared right out of the blue? Like mentioned above it might be a sponge or perhaps dead algae of some sort, but I would think you would have noticed it sooner. Have you tried blowing it off with a powerhead yet? If you don't have one of these handy just use your hand and give the rocks a wave.

moneymm
01/22/2018, 05:12 PM
All this just appeared right out of the blue? Like mentioned above it might be a sponge or perhaps dead algae of some sort, but I would think you would have noticed it sooner. Have you tried blowing it off with a powerhead yet? If you don't have one of these handy just use your hand and give the rocks a wave.

after a water change

mcgyvr
01/22/2018, 05:45 PM
after a water change

huh?
but you had plenty of green growing algae there before right?
This stuff just didn't all of a sudden appear on what was perfectly clean algae free rocks before right?
If so ok..
If not def gonna need a better picture as dead algae just doesn't appear without being live algae before..

as nutrient levels get lower in a tank algae can/will certainly die off..

happening instantly after a water change is a different story again though..

avery155
01/22/2018, 07:33 PM
If you stirred up the sand putting water back in it could be fine particles clinging to algae on the rock

moneymm
01/22/2018, 08:32 PM
huh?
but you had plenty of green growing algae there before right?
This stuff just didn't all of a sudden appear on what was perfectly clean algae free rocks before right?
If so ok..
If not def gonna need a better picture as dead algae just doesn't appear without being live algae before..

as nutrient levels get lower in a tank algae can/will certainly die off..

happening instantly after a water change is a different story again though..

yes I had a bunch of algae on the rock and sand bed.