PDA

View Full Version : Planted reef tank lighting / dosing / perimeters

THEUNION1
01/25/2018, 07:41 AM
I’ve searched the intrawebs and although I’ve found many articles on planted tanks they are all pretty outdated. I was wondering if there’s anyone here with extensive experience with planted tanks.

I just started one (Jan 4) and planted about three pounds of red Gracilaria Parvispora in my sand bed last night. I also have two pounds of chaeto in my sump (reverse lighting schedule) with another 1/2lb of GP. I do not plan on running a skimmer.

Just in case it matters: Lights are kessil 360 blues. 92g display with 60lb live rock and a 3” sand bed. Sump is 32 gal with about 30lb of live rock in it, 2” deep sand in Refugium and as stated above, lots of macro. Actual water volume is about 70g total.

All I’m asking for is a crash course just in case there’s new info out there.

Lighting, dosing and ample perimeters to keep? Thanks in advance.

bertoni
01/25/2018, 05:50 PM
The various marine algae can be very demanding. Many require a lot of flow, or intense lighting or other very specific conditions. I don't have any general recommendations, but we might be able to do some research on specific species.

THEUNION1
01/27/2018, 06:36 AM
The various marine algae can be very demanding. Many require a lot of flow, or intense lighting or other very specific conditions. I don't have any general recommendations, but we might be able to do some research on specific species.

I’ve spent countless hours reading since my post and think I may have it kind of figured out. Time will tell I guess.