PDA

View Full Version : Should I still run phosphate remover with NoPox?

serbusfish
01/25/2018, 09:29 AM
I have been using NoPox for quite a while now and my nitrate has dropped from 25 to 0. But i'm wondering if the NoPox is as effective with phosphate as it is with nitrate? My LFS told me to keep running ROWA as NoPox is rubbish for phosphate, but its been around 4 - 5 months since I last changed the media so surely its exhausted and the NoPox is doing all the work?

jayball
01/25/2018, 10:56 AM
Carbon dosing will remove phosphate along with nitrate somewhere around 15:1 N:P. Google the Redfield Ratio, it is not specific to the bacteria we expect to grow with carbon dosing but it is close enough. If you are already at a low level you can likely go without PO4 remover or just use a little passively in a sock to avoid stripping PO4 too far.

mcgyvr
01/25/2018, 11:07 AM
Do you have a phosphate problem? GFO is intended to be used to treat a phosphate problem..
If you don't have one then don't use it..

But yes.. carbon dosing will work against both nitrates and phosphates..
One could use both nopox and GFO if they have a serious phosphate problem that they want to lower quickly..

I think GFO is highly overused in this hobby.. Many think they must run GFO to have a successful tank.. That is absolutely not true..
I only recommend it when you have a real phosphate problem and have exhausted all other remedies..

Phosphate issues are almost always from
1-overfeeding
2-phosphate bound in rock that hasn't all leached out already.. (pukani rock is notorious for that)

africangrey
01/25/2018, 05:02 PM
Carbon dosing will remove phosphate along with nitrate somewhere around 15:1 N:P. Google the Redfield Ratio, it is not specific to the bacteria we expect to grow with carbon dosing but it is close enough. If you are already at a low level you can likely go without PO4 remover or just use a little passively in a sock to avoid stripping PO4 too far.

That, which means you will have to dose NO3 to bring it up so the bacteria can have something to consume alone with the PO4 in 16:1 ratio. what is your phosphate level? I won't worry too much if its at 0.1 ppm

serbusfish
01/25/2018, 05:24 PM
My phosphate is almost undetectable, 0.03. I guess I can stop running the ROWA then?

mcgyvr
01/26/2018, 05:39 AM
My phosphate is almost undetectable, 0.03. I guess I can stop running the ROWA then?

yes... stop

Vinny Kreyling
01/26/2018, 09:02 AM
I would cut the use in 1/2 & see if you till have low readings.
If so then discontinue using it.