PDA

View Full Version : Accidental Chemical introduction to new tank

squid row
01/30/2018, 10:03 AM
This is kind of long but I set up a 72 gallon tank from scratch two weeks ago.

Somewhere in the water making process a chemical was introduced. it was either from an exterminator or house cleaning, I have no way to determine which.

The result is a film coating everything and causing my protein skimmer to go absolutely nuts with foam.

There is no live stock in the tank, just sand and "Life Rock" from Caribsea.

I tried doing massive water changes with no luck in getting the skimmer to calm down then started noticing much larger affects. The skimmer, tank glass and hoses are all coated in a slime like blueish gray substance, this accelerated after trying to use carbon to help remove whatever it is.

So, after much deliberation I drained all the water, removed the rocks and all the equipment and gave everything a vinegar bath which helped a lot but not 100%

Right now the rocks and equipment are soaking in the bath tub in fresh water after their vinegar bath. Pics attached show what a clear pvc hose looked like after I removed it from the return pump compared to new and some of the bubbling that is still occurring in the fresh water flush/bath

So my question is what else can I do besides throwing everything away?

My goal was to set up a FOWLR tank initially and then after it was established, add in some coral and eventually become a mixed reef tank

RobZilla04
01/30/2018, 10:44 AM
Toss the sand and rock. Clean the equipment with a dish soap, then another vinegar cleaning. Same with the tank. Run any pump thoroughly in a vinegar/RODI solution for a significant time.

That's what I would do. Worth a shot before spending every cent over again.

bertoni
01/30/2018, 03:48 PM
I agree with pitching the sand. An acid dip is a good idea, but muriatic acid might work better, although it requires care in handling. You could consider adding 1 part muriatic acid to 10 parts water and give it a 20 minute dip. I'd work outside and wear gloves and goggles, though.

Dan_P
01/30/2018, 04:21 PM
It might be difficult to distinguish between a bacterial bloom or calcium carbonate precipitate and what you describe as a chemical contamination. You might have good reason to suspect a chemical contamination but how could this much chemical get into the system? I am pressing you on this so you aren’t wasting your time fixing problems you don’t have.

squid row
01/30/2018, 05:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback. My reasons for thinking it was chemical and not bacterial are that the tank was only set up for a week and had no live stock plus the tub I used to make saltwater was used by an exterminator a few months prior and then was "washed out" by my former house cleaner. Former because I specifically mentioned not to clean the tub or the other aquarium related items that were in that same room.

What I have done today is after taking everything apart all pumps, skimmer and plumbing was placed in the bathtub with Dawn dish detergent and everything turned on for about an hour. Afterwards, in a new tub, placed in fresh water and vinegar and once again everything run for about an hour. After that, back into a new tub with just clean fresh water for about an hour and run once again.

Going to do this three or four times and try again and see what happens before adding new sand.

WRT to the "life rock", I think I might try the same thing but on a smaller scale and see what happens. In other words, I might try cleaning with Dawn then vinegar and follow it up with fresh water flushing and then try putting a few pieces in the tank rather than all 80 lbs

reeftanker3295
01/30/2018, 05:26 PM
Sounds normal for a week old tank honestly. I'd sit it out for a few days.

HBtank
01/30/2018, 06:44 PM
the tub I used to make saltwater was used by an exterminator a few months prior and then was "washed out" by my former house cleaner

Yeah, that would concern me too. Tossing all sand and potentially rock would be the safest approach.

Make sure to use phosphate free soap (and I probably would not regardless on porous surfaces).

bertoni
01/30/2018, 07:12 PM
I would avoid any detergent use. I'm not sure how easy it will be to remove it.