PDA

View Full Version : What kind of light should i use

LtDster
01/30/2018, 06:00 PM
Im looking to purchase a 60G RR Deep Blue tank tomorrow and am trying to figure out what kind of lighting im going to need for it. I want to use it mostly as a frag tank, but housing some fish and a small area with LR. Tank dimensions are 48x24x12. What are my economy lights and what would be ideal?

thanks in advance

RobZilla04
01/30/2018, 06:08 PM
Economy would be black box led (Mars aqua) although for a frag tank I suggest a quality fixture. You're gonna want a PAR value in excess of 250 where the frags will be kept. Not saying this cannot be achieved with the black box fixture mounted low above a shallow tank, just that if it were me I'd snag something like a hydra 26 HD or Kessil from the used section. Obviously more than one also.

HBtank
01/30/2018, 06:23 PM
Black boxes have no problem with PAR, if anything people burn corals with them. The problem is getting an even distribution without "hot spots" where a few inches can be the difference between burns and thriving.

That's why people generally get more lights for coverage and turn them down well below 100%.

All LEDS suffer from this to some degree. Well maybe not the Kessil :)

Cheapreef
01/30/2018, 07:00 PM
You can't go wrong with T5's if you want growth and color, or a hybrid T5/LED

RobZilla04
01/30/2018, 07:32 PM
You can't go wrong with T5's if you want growth and color, or a hybrid T5/LED

This!

DesertReefT4r
01/30/2018, 08:37 PM
Mars black box or the like, Reef Breeders Photon V2 if you want a budget controllable light. Or good old fanshion metal halide pendants, cheap and highly effective however higher engery useage and yearly bulb replacement costs add up.