PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my Live Rocks?

GoLowDrew
01/30/2018, 11:53 PM
I going to take a break from my FOLR tank. My last fish died and maybe it's a good time for a break, and return with a new tank, stand, etc. My current set up is 14~ years old?

So my question is, what do I do with the live rocks and live sand?

Yes, I can give it away. But they did cost some $$$.

I don't want to run the tank anymore and keep it within specs.

Educate me on how to store the live rocks and sand? Or do they "die" if I take them out of water and let the dry?

Can I jump start everything? 6 months? A year from now?

Advice?

TIA

mcgyvr
01/31/2018, 05:33 AM
Just scoop the sand into the trash... Its not worth keeping. Or more specifically its more of a hassle to clean than it is to just toss it and buy new..

You can just remove the rock and rinse it off with a hose then just throw it into a bucket and put it in your garage or out back in your yard or whatever..

Yes once it dries out it will no longer be "live rock" as the bacteria living on it (which makes it live in the first place) will die.. But so what.. It can be reused again and become live again whenever you want..

billdogg
01/31/2018, 07:33 AM
I have a big pile of used rocks in the corner of my backyard. When I need one, I grab it, rinse it, and stick it in the tank.

Old sand? Depends where you live. I have several buckets full in my garage that I use every winter for traction/ice melt (it still has some salt that dried up with it)

nereefpat
01/31/2018, 08:30 AM
Good advice so far.

I would get rid of the sand.

I might see if I could sell the live rock on craigslist or something. You might be able to get a couple bucks per pound for it. You wouldn't have to store it, and you could buy new dry rock if/when you ever set up a tank again.

clk51212
01/31/2018, 06:52 PM
you can always check with local reef clubs or on facebook

GoLowDrew
02/01/2018, 11:00 PM
Thank you. I turned off the heater and pump tonight. Plan to clean everything out this weekend. Kind of a bitter sweet moment. It just felt strange not have a tank running after all these years. I may change my mind... :-(

Sstanley223
02/02/2018, 09:30 AM
I had some nice tukani that I let dry out. It made a great base for my newest build!

rvareef
02/03/2018, 07:02 AM
dry out sand/rocks in backyard, can reuse them when ready to start back up

on the spot
02/03/2018, 10:39 AM
Plan to clean everything out this weekend. Kind of a bitter sweet moment...(

I hear that -

I agree with others to keep the rock. Unless it's Tonga branchy, then you should just PM me and I'll come take care of that for you.

I also agree the sand is a real hassle. If you want you can keep it. I'd bleach it and rinse it good, let it dry, and bag it up.

GoLowDrew
02/05/2018, 01:39 PM
Many of you have said "don't keep the sand." Outside of a hassle of cleaning it, is there another reason?

I have the same sand for 14 years. Never touched it.

Is there a Sand 101 Care thread?

crawlerman
02/05/2018, 01:49 PM
Just the hassle of getting all of the crud out, then drying and storing it.