PDA

View Full Version : Help me understand skimmer production

intenseimage
01/31/2018, 12:55 PM
For years now we have had a skimmer that was over rated for our tank (a 75g with small under tank sump). The skimmer pulled waste but wasnt anything impressive.

Recently we moved the sump to the basement and increased the sump volume by 50% or so (in prep for our 120g upgrade).

Skimmer now produces like crazy. Same bioload, just more water volume.

Why ...

MCCOOL
01/31/2018, 01:57 PM
Did the water level it's sitting in change?

intenseimage
01/31/2018, 02:40 PM
Did the water level it's sitting in change?Nope

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

jda
01/31/2018, 04:23 PM
The fall from the first story to the second could have the water already more oxygenated to begin with with organics already partially bound to bubbles? This would not really be an issue on a great skimmer, but it could for a mediocre one... a lot of the skimmers out there are mediocre, though.

Are you moving more water through the sump?

intenseimage
01/31/2018, 04:26 PM
The fall from the first story to the second could have the water already more oxygenated to begin with with organics already partially bound to bubbles? This would not really be an issue on a great skimmer, but it could for a mediocre one... a lot of the skimmers out there are mediocre, though.

Are you moving more water through the sump?It's a Diablo 160 ... And I think there is quite a bit less turnover thru the sump now

jda
01/31/2018, 04:29 PM
If it has the Sicce PSK pump, then that is a legit skimmer. I love the CoralVue skimmers with the Sicce pumps, but have no use for the other brand of pumps that they used.

Maybe will just have to chalk this up to "who knows?"

The only other thing that basements suffer over main floor is that there is usually more CO2 in the basement. I cannot see how this would make skimming better, though.

intenseimage
01/31/2018, 04:31 PM
If it has the Sicce PSK pump, then that is a legit skimmer. I love the CoralVue skimmers with the Sicce pumps, but have no use for the other brand of pumps that they used.

Maybe will just have to chalk this up to "who knows?"

The only other thing that basements suffer over main floor is that there is usually more CO2 in the basement. I cannot see how this would make skimming better, though.It does have a sicce psk and co2 isn't an issue as we have a whole house air exchange unit

jda
01/31/2018, 04:34 PM
Did you clean the skimmer when you moved it?

I do notice that the air tube will get caked up salt creep that makes it less effective sometimes, but it starts to kick-azz again once I clean it. Only my RO with Sicce PSK does this, and I run 4 other skimmers.

Other than this, I have nothing...

intenseimage
01/31/2018, 04:35 PM
Did you clean the skimmer when you moved it?

I do notice that the air tube will get caked up salt creep that makes it less effective sometimes, but it starts to kick-azz again once I clean it. Only my RO with Sicce PSK does this, and I run 4 other skimmers.

Other than this, I have nothing...Nope ... Ok so at least I'm not the only one with no damn clue.

ReefkeeperZ
02/02/2018, 05:45 PM
ok so possibly

more water volume = total available hydrophobics at a high level for longer like calcium.
possibly increased outside contamination (basements tend to be dustier)

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/2/aafeature