PDA

View Full Version : Are these black worms?

d0ughb0y
01/31/2018, 06:59 PM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180201/7c6fd893a5ea5373c317030bf1c551fe.jpg

LFS sold this to me as black worms,but none of my fishes wanted it, even the copperband butterfly. I saw one clown ate one, that’s it. Piranha like feeding frenzy never happened.

swhobbie1
01/31/2018, 08:40 PM
Looks like them although blood worrnw look the same to me. My copperband eats them but the other fish don’t really like them at all. I usually feed them with something else at same time like mysis. Your fish may need to get used to them.

tom g
01/31/2018, 08:45 PM
they look like black worms my fish go crazy for them when I put it ...

heathlindner25
01/31/2018, 09:00 PM
Yes

d0ughb0y
01/31/2018, 09:32 PM
Good to know. Tnx.
The worms did stop squirming/died with 30 seconds of getting dropped into the tank.

The CBB is in QT and it looks like it started picking at the dead worms. I also saw it pick on the frozen mysis. I fed clam first, and it was picking on the clam meat as soon as it hits the water.

avery155
01/31/2018, 10:10 PM
Looks like the ones I got from my lfs, replace the water with rodi every other day. My fish love them they get them every other day.

Apotack
02/01/2018, 10:11 AM
It may take a few tries before the fish try them

Hal
02/01/2018, 01:01 PM
Good to know. Tnx.
The worms did stop squirming/died with 30 seconds of getting dropped into the tank.

That's normal. Blackworms are actually freshwater organisms. Usually they wiggle long enough to get the attention of the fish.

d0ughb0y
02/01/2018, 02:13 PM
yes, I read that they die quickly in saltwater.
most things I read are true so far, except for the piranha like feeding frenzy part. :)
I also wonder, if you can raise a culture using only brown paper towel as their food source, then how can it possibly be the most nutritious food for your fish? maybe another myth?

WVfishguy
02/01/2018, 02:24 PM
They look pretty long and brown to be black worms.

lapin
02/01/2018, 05:22 PM
You might think about raising some white worms. Here is a snippet from another forum;

*****Blackworms live in freshwater and you buy them in water in small portions or online in big portions. A lot of people either can't get live blackworms, never heard of them or their wife won't let them put them in their refrigerator. My wife won't either and she can probably take me in a fair fight so I don't put them there. But this is about whiteworms which live in soil and I assume are just as nutritious as blackworms. Whiteworms have one big advantage in that they can live in saltwater for hours****

d0ughb0y
02/01/2018, 07:22 PM
I specifically wanted to try black worms for reason they don’t survive in saltwater. Last thing I need is one escapes getting eaten and cause a worm population explosion in my tank. I can get it from LFS on the way home for $2 for 1 scoop/portion if I need it.

d0ughb0y
02/23/2018, 02:07 PM
ok, fed the last of the blackworms to the fishes. so I think I can make the $2 portion last a month.
also, after the first week, I only did the rodi water change once a week.
during the first week or two, fishes were freaked out by the worms. they literally all go into hiding (like my tank has no fish in sight for a few minutes) when I squirt the worms with a turkey baster into the water.

Now that they are used to it, they go after the turkey baster tip as I lower it into the water.

I got the blackworms primarily to feed the copperband. But copperband eats so slow, like it will stare at a worm right in its face for a few seconds before eating it, and by the time it decides to eat it, the worm has been eaten by the other fish. Its a wonder copperbands are not extinct.

I also tried the freeze dried california blackworms. pretty pricey for $10 for 10grams (cheaper if buying more). the copperband and other fishes eat it like they eat the live ones. so I will keep some of the freeze dried blackworms handy since the lfs does not always have live blackworms. I will also try to get the freeze dried worms in an auto feeder to see if it will work.

kybreos
02/23/2018, 09:29 PM
I got the blackworms primarily to feed the copperband. But copperband eats so slow, like it will stare at a worm right in its face for a few seconds before eating it, and by the time it decides to eat it, the worm has been eaten by the other fish. Its a wonder copperbands are not extinct.

Funniest thing I read all night, almost wet my pants.