PDA

View Full Version : Inconsistent Tunze quality control?

Gargamel35
02/02/2018, 07:14 AM
I've always used Tunze powerheads and pumps and i was very happy with them.

Now i own bigger 110 gallon tank and i wanted to buy silent equipment (as silent as possible). So i bought Tunze 1073.050 DC return pump and 2x 6055 DC powerheads.

I install return pump and turn it on. It sounds terrible. Very loud humming and scratching noise. I decided to wait 2 months. It doesn't get much better at all so i return it and get a replacement. I install the second unit. It runs better but there is still a very annoying scratching sound! And it doesn't get any better with time. When i check the youtube, everybody is raving about the silent 1073.050. Well i had two units so far and none of them is silent.

I noticed that the second unit becomes silent if i lift the back part up and leave the front part down. But that is not how the pump should run and i don't know how to securely fit it like that.

Now to the 6055 powerheads. I install the first one. It runs silent! Pulse works silent also so that is great. Then i install the second 6055. If i turn the power over 40% i hear very annoying humming noise. If i put it to pulse, you hear the humming noise every couple of seconds. Horrible. I can also hear the power supply humm a lot louder then with the first 6055. i don't know if this will get better with time or not, but my wife hates these scratching and humming sounds.

Can i solve these problems somehow and did Tunze really fall in quality control that much?

mcgyvr
02/02/2018, 08:16 AM
Can i solve these problems somehow

Sure you contact the place where you purchased the parts to start with and explain the issue.. They will either handle it or direct you to contact Tunze..

Fit shappens... There is not a single company in the world that is immune to quality control problems. It happens to even the best of them..

Gargamel35
02/02/2018, 08:29 AM
The seller says i should just wait and thinks the problem is not "that bad". Well i didn't buy this return pump to hear it's scratching noise. I had two pumps already and both are bad, so it's not just "fit shappens" kind of thing.

And the same thing with 6055. How many pumps do i need to buy to get 2 silent ones? Maybe this humming noise on 6055 is normal and my first totally silent version is NOT normal so it won't help if i return it and get another one. Maybe there are any tricks to make those pumps really silent, so that's why i'm asking here.

Dmorty217
02/02/2018, 09:35 AM
The seller says i should just wait and thinks the problem is not "that bad". Well i didn't buy this return pump to hear it's scratching noise. I had two pumps already and both are bad, so it's not just "fit shappens" kind of thing.

And the same thing with 6055. How many pumps do i need to buy to get 2 silent ones? Maybe this humming noise on 6055 is normal and my first totally silent version is NOT normal so it won't help if i return it and get another one. Maybe there are any tricks to make those pumps really silent, so that's why i'm asking here.

Tell them they need to replace the return pump for you. It shouldn't be loud or have a scratching noise... the seller is just kicking the can down the road on you

Navig8tr
02/02/2018, 10:39 AM
Post your issues in the Tunze forum. Roger Vitko is the USA rep and is very knowledgeable and responsive. Your issues might be resolved with slight adjustments to the pumps.

mcgyvr
02/02/2018, 11:44 AM

Simply tell the seller.. "Thanks for your suggestion but I would like to return them now"..

HBtank
02/02/2018, 02:26 PM
Did you buy this from your LFS? Can't imagine any other seller getting in the weeds like that...

You can't say the "problem that is not that bad". If there is a problem, there is a problem... period. And starting off with a pump that makes ANY weird noise or has issues is not good for equipment that should last years with hopefully 0 issues.

Tunze has good service, no seller should not make use of it....