PDA

View Full Version : Help with hippo tang

ibrat82
02/03/2018, 11:37 AM
Hi guys

So I purchased a hippo tang it’s a juvenile about 1” in size last night. I put it in my 20 gallon long qt with a juvenile emperor also same size. The tang was hiding behind some rock all night and then came
Out this morning but I notice it keeps swimming on one side. The gill are moving rapidly. It hasn’t eaten anything.

Is this a sign of stress or something more serious?

I have all the medication and additional tanks to move it if need be for treatment.

Her colour is fine but the underside is faded blue which I read is from stress. Don’t see any spots or trying to scratch itself and don’t see any velvet.

Could it be flukes? Is it too soon to start prazi?

Looking for your insight on what to do..

JUNBUG361
02/03/2018, 11:48 AM
Stress = ich. You have QT tank? If you I’d put it in, if not you’ll have to monitor

ibrat82
02/03/2018, 11:54 AM
Yes it’s in qt right now with the juvenile emperor. It’s now on its side hiding behind a filter. My qt is fully cycled so it’s not an ammonia issue.

Sk8r
02/03/2018, 11:55 AM
Injury from the other fish is a possibility: these are two space-hungry and oxygen-hungry fishes and trying to qt both together may present problems. Rapid gill movement could indicate obstruction by ich in the gills, or lack of oxygen. If you have a spare skimmer, install it on that tank to provide more oxygen, and if it were mine, I think I'd assume ich or flukes affecting the gills. Is the soft tissue of the gills protruding during breaths?

ibrat82
02/03/2018, 12:02 PM
I do have one of those air filter in the tank. I do also have a nano skimmer I can put that in.

Yes it looks like the outer tissue of the gills is flared or protruding!

Sk8r
02/03/2018, 01:08 PM
Prazipro can treat flukes. Hyposalinity can treat ich. Since we can't tell which, the literature says one can do both at the same time, and rather than complicate the salinity with the skimmer, get one of those diffuser plates for a strong air pump and block its area off with a square of eggcrate (lighting grid) and keep that salinity rock steady and the oxygenation high. Neither treatment will distress the fish too much. Here is the protocol for hypo: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1991470

ibrat82
02/03/2018, 01:51 PM
Well it was too late. It died. That was quick. Now I’ve got the juvenile emperor left. What should I do? Start ttm? Move home to another quarantine tank that’s disease free or just start copper?

I read on a sticky on another forum that ttm can be harsh and angels.

Please advise

JUNBUG361
02/03/2018, 05:36 PM
Sorry about the tang. With emperor you can start the copper, maybe ttm

ca1ore
02/03/2018, 06:32 PM
It is entirely possible that the tang died due to collection or even acclimation stress. Tiny hippos have a poor survival rate anyhow. I'd not rush to medication until the angel has settled in and is eating, particularly if it's not exhibiting any symptoms of disease.

ibrat82
02/04/2018, 02:35 AM
So I figured out it was flukes that killed the tang and I’m sure the stress didn’t help either. The juvenile emperor is eating very well and I started him on prazi . After having him in prazi for 72 hours do I do a water change? If so how much? I also want to start copper safe. When would that be a good time?

Also I seeded my qt tank with filter floss from my dt. I have an ammonia badge that read .25 ammonia after dosing prazi. After seeing this I used prime but because this is a cycled tank since I seeded it is it normal to see ammonia with prazi?

It is entirely possible that the tang died due to collection or even acclimation stress. Tiny hippos have a poor survival rate anyhow. I'd not rush to medication until the angel has settled in and is eating, particularly if it's not exhibiting any symptoms of disease.