PDA

View Full Version : good dither fish before regal angel

agreeive?fish
02/03/2018, 04:27 PM
As the title states looking for good dither fish for my 210 that will show the regal angel(when i get the angel)that this is a safe place and this is food...want it to be some type of dither fish that can spend its entire long life in a tank with angels and tangs..not aggressive but not a chicken

ReefNomad
02/03/2018, 09:44 PM
A foxface cam play that role. We used to have 2 permanent foxfaces in the shop, both as algae removers and as dithers. For new tangs, the foxes got them onto nori sheets. For new angels and butterflies, the foxes introduced them to prepared blends rather than grazing for live

nereefpat
02/03/2018, 09:58 PM
The foxface is an interesting suggestion. I usually think of dither fish as little guys.

Something like a chromis or cardinal

ReefNomad
02/04/2018, 08:11 AM
We found in the shop that the little fish aren't as successful at "training" the new arrivals. The foxes (and eventually also a unicorn tang we fell in love with) were hand-tame and always had a positive reaction to the presence of people because people meant food.
Foxfaces have a clear color-shift response to stress or alarm, so the new arrivals would watch them for cues. Since the foxes never exhibited stress, the new arrivals would follow them around to learn the routine and find the food sources.

Sk8r
02/04/2018, 10:05 AM
Chromis are good at it if you can find healthy ones. Uronema has been a problem with them in recent years.

nereefpat
02/04/2018, 10:06 AM
Very nice.

No problem using bigger fish, as long as they are peaceful and the tank is big enough.

Timfish
02/04/2018, 10:37 AM
I have combinations of yellow tail damsels (Chrysiptera parasema) and Talboti damsels (C. talboti. They have the same body shape but different colors, stay small <2" and if there are several they establish a social group with a dominate female who spends most of her time keeping the males, subadults in line.

agreeive?fish
02/04/2018, 10:48 AM
Very nice.

No problem using bigger fish, as long as they are peaceful and the tank is big enough.

well i hope that a 6 x 2 will be big enough if not my luck just ran out. considering a foxface is on the stocking agenda for this tank anyhow i like the idea of a foxface as a angel trainer

nereefpat
02/04/2018, 11:31 AM
Yep, I agree the 210 is big enough for the foxface.

As Sk8tr hinted at, definitely qt chromis.

I like the Chrysiptera damsels the best.

scooter31707
02/05/2018, 02:00 PM
Maybe a couple of fairy/flasher wrasses. They are very active once they get established.

agreeive?fish
02/05/2018, 07:30 PM
i think i will go with a mag foxface since it was on my plans for wet pets for this tank from the beginning of the initial planning stages...thanks for the reply's