PDA

View Full Version : Is this a good mix of fish?

Blue Reef 06
02/04/2018, 09:54 AM
Hi All,

I'm in the process of rebuilding after a bad tank crash following a move and the tank is finally ready for some fish. Tank is 125 gallon with ~100lbs of porous rock and a 35 gal sump with more rock in it. I'm planning to get a mandarin in another 9-12 months, and wanted to make sure my plan for the following fish will work.

Mandarain
Pair of clownfish
Royal Gramma
Mystery wrasse
Kole Tang
Banggai cardinal (maybe 3)

My concern with the above is that I have read the Banggai may outcompete the mandarin for pods. Does anyone else have experience in keeping these two together?

Thanks!

Cliving1
02/04/2018, 10:00 AM
I think thats a pretty light load. I have not heard about cardinals eating pods but you should be able to search the forums for more info. I think you still have room for additions. Good idea not getting the mandarin for a while.

zooman72
02/04/2018, 12:06 PM
I think thats a pretty light load. I have not heard about cardinals eating pods but you should be able to search the forums for more info. I think you still have room for additions. Good idea not getting the mandarin for a while.

This is spot on - I doubt the cardinals will be eating pods off of the substrate are therefore compete with a mandarin in this fashion.

Empty Bottles
02/04/2018, 02:49 PM
I’d be worried about the mystery wrasse though.

Olathereefer
02/04/2018, 03:14 PM
Your mandarin will be okay with the cardinals. I have both and the cardinals will go for the mysis shrimp during feeding time while the mandarin hunts for pods off the substrate and live rock.

Blue Reef 06
02/04/2018, 10:43 PM
Thanks for the input! If my load is pretty light, what would you recommend as additions to the list? Anthias? Pajama cardinals? Something else? Would love to get a coral beauty, but not sure I want to risk it eating my corals.

Cliving1
02/05/2018, 07:40 AM
Anthias are a possibility. What about a midas blenny, flame hawk? My coral beauty only eats brain coral. Also could do a goby

mako61
02/05/2018, 06:11 PM
I have 4 Anthias in my tank about that size. They are very pretty and add a lot of movement to the tank. Had them 7 months or so. I do feed my tank 2 times per day. Mine mess with each other, but nothing too bad.

Myles
02/05/2018, 11:26 PM
The mystery wrasse will eat pods and out compete the mandarin so I would choose one or the other.
Myles