PDA

View Full Version : Can I keep my doser far away from the tank?

PirateLove
02/04/2018, 01:51 PM
I do not have room in my stand and was wondering if I could keep my doser 12 feet away and run the tubing to the tank. Would the doser be able to push the fluid?

:wave:

ReefkeeperZ
02/04/2018, 01:57 PM
if your going to do that run it level or slightly downward towards the tank so gravity helps not fights the doser.

skimjim
02/04/2018, 02:51 PM
Depends on what youre dosing....

If youre dosing Calcium, more tubing equals more opportunities for the Calcium to "cakeup" and clog the tubing

PirateLove
02/04/2018, 04:29 PM
Hmm ok. I want to keep it on a cabinet that is about 3ft high. Then run it down, out about 8ft, then up 2ft to my sump. I am dosing alk and calcium right now.

ReefkeeperZ
02/04/2018, 04:52 PM
up hill will be hard on the pump and even worse for buildup, going that far is bad enough going up hill is going to guarantee you have clog issues down the road. even running it downhill your facing clog issues. I'm one of those weird people though I like seeing my gear for my tank. If I had a doser it would be mounted above and behind my tank because, "hell yeah have a doser!" but thats just me

Kevin Guthrie
02/04/2018, 06:57 PM
IMO...

The flow rate is so low that friction is not the issue (it doesn't matter how far the tubing goes). What matters it is the head (difference in height - lift) that it is pushing against.

As far as calcium clogs go, if you create a P trap somewhere by looping the tubing, you should be able to keep an eye on the trap and purge the line when it looks like there might be a clog problem.

oldhead
02/05/2018, 05:36 AM
up hill will be hard on the pump and even worse for buildup, going that far is bad enough going up hill is going to guarantee you have clog issues down the road. even running it downhill your facing clog issues. I'm one of those weird people though I like seeing my gear for my tank. If I had a doser it would be mounted above and behind my tank because, "hell yeah have a doser!" but thats just me

Haha, I get that. Dosing pumps do look kinda cool.

davjbeas
02/05/2018, 01:00 PM
this pump pumps up to 60 feet

http://spectrapure.com/DOSING-TOP-OFF/LITERMETER-DOSING-SYSTEMS/LiterMeter-III-Precision-Dosing-System-115V