PDA

View Full Version : How many gph for gfo/carbon reactors?

cedwards04
02/05/2018, 07:16 PM
I am nearing the end of my 40 breeder/20l build and trying to plan out my plumbing. I have a brs gfo/carbon reactor that I plan to modify to run each reactor independently. I plan to build a manifold to feed the reactors, as well as possible add ons in the future such as a uv light.

How many gph should I figure for the reactors when selecting a return pump?

I originally purchased a sicce 2.0 pump but am now second guessing that purchase as I am concerned it will be grossly under powered when I factor in the 40inches or so of vertical plumbing to get to the display tank from the sump.

I have wavemakers to handle flow in the display, so I'm not concerned about the return adding flow, I just want to be sure I will have adequate turnover through the sump. I have read numbers anywhere from 3x-10x.

My total volume will be in the neighborhood of 42 gallons after rock and such.

RCS82
02/05/2018, 08:24 PM
3 to 5x turnover through the sump will be fine. The reactors in general won't need a heck of a lot. The carbon one is easy as you don't want it tumbling around, you just want water passing through the carbon. The gfo is where you may need to dial it in a little more. A couple hundred gallons per hour would be lots I'm sure, most people run a maxijet or similar small pump.

rocsec1
02/05/2018, 08:42 PM
Gfo just needs gentle tumble so it is more by eye then by gph.

cedwards04
02/05/2018, 08:54 PM
I understand that, but didn't know if there was a rough estimate. My best guess is I will be around 390-420gph from my return pump after figuring head pressure.

3-5x turn over would be 126-210 gph, so that leaves me with 200ish gph to spare. I may be alright.

1jwampler
08/15/2018, 03:13 PM
I just added FMM to my system, when the sponges are clean and GFO is fresh on my BRS 10" deluxe reactor, I see as much as 72GPH if I push the COR20 to 3000 RPM (RPM doesn't change from 50% power to 100% power meaning to much restriction) I see 72GPH. If I run it just below max pressure 2900RPM 35% power, I see 52GPH. If I run more than 52GPH, no tumble, just GFO pinned to the top sponge of the reactor. I suspect, looser packing and 30GPH may be a more realistic number. I have gate valves on the manifold, so I can adjust individual flow, while keeping the COR constant for a sustainable sump/ATO level.

mcgyvr
08/16/2018, 05:01 AM
Don't run GFO unless you have a real phosphate problem...
Running it unnecessarily can cause more problems than it solves..
Phosphate is a necessary nutrient essential to all marine life... Stripping the water of phosphates can be very detrimental to the health of the tank..

Typically a real phosphate problem is from 2 things.. Overfeeding or purchasing rock thats got a lot of phosphate bound up in it..
Both are simple/temporary issues to fix..

thegrun
08/17/2018, 12:02 PM
If I had to take a guess I think I run about 50 GPH through my standard 10" canister for GFO.