PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive bangaii cardinal

t1a1c1h
02/09/2018, 04:40 PM
We have a 90G mixed reef with a clownfish pair, solar wrasse, midas blenny, bangaii cardinal and 3 blue star damsels. In the last few days I've noticed the damsels spending more and more of their time hiding (and thus the clownies hide more too as they used to hand out together as a loose group of 5) and I reckon it's due to the bangaii becoming a d*ck. He's always chased them around in the evening as if to say 'get to bed daytime fish' but now he doesn't just chase them a little, he chases them right into their dens and crashes into them if he gets there quick enough. Two of the damsels have been seriously injured recently and I think he's the likely culprit. The question is ..... why is he being like this and whats the best thing to do?? We know from experience when we moved house that he is the most difficult fish in the tank to catch in either net or trap so getting him out will be last resort really. Would getting him a mate help? Or getting more damsels to 'share' the stress? Or something else entirely??

tom obrecht
02/10/2018, 12:38 PM
You can try a mate or even adding a few more banghii but from my experience he will whittle the group down to one or even all of them. I really think your best bet is to pull him out. Either that or pull the fish he is attacking and add fish he won’t bother.