PDA

View Full Version : Can you build a Stand with 1x4's?

reeferjames1
02/10/2018, 01:44 PM
would using 1x4's for a 90g tank 60x18x20 be strong enough? I am trying to reduce the weight of the stand but want to keep the strength. also don't want a center post in the front. is this a recipe for disaster?

nereefpat
02/10/2018, 01:50 PM
The all-glass factory stands were always 1xs. Should be fine as long as design and joining is well done.

As far as the center brace, you might consider using a 1x6 or 1x8 for the long span.

reeferjames1
02/10/2018, 01:56 PM
planning on the standard build you see all over YouTube. yeah I though about increasing the front span to a 1x6. the back span I will have plenty of brace. I just need to get the 48" sump in and I want to close the sides. also thinking of a removable brace just to be safe.

windlasher
02/10/2018, 01:59 PM
would using 1x4's for a 90g tank 60x18x20 be strong enough? I am trying to reduce the weight of the stand but want to keep the strength. also don't want a center post in the front. is this a recipe for disaster?

Just My 2 cents -

I own a wood shop and have been doing it all my life.

Will it work? Yes assuming you know joinery and know it well. Glue and screw, not one or the other. 90 gallons is a lot of weight and FWIW - 2x4s aren't that heavy anyway. the 5 or so pounds you will save in weight will afford you 10 times the security and weight handling.

reeferjames1
02/10/2018, 02:17 PM
Thanks, I'm sure your right. my woodworking skills are not as good as I imagine they are.

billdogg
02/10/2018, 02:34 PM
I'd consider 3/4 plywood, pocket hole screws and glue, corner braces just because. If you use a nice piece of ply (think WoodCraft) you can have it any one of several species (Oak, Cherry, etc) If you plan on painting, I'd use the pre-primed ply from Lowes - it is made with 10 thin layers making for a stronger structure than the run of the mill oak or birch ply commonly available that has only 5.

jm.02

~RuSh~
02/10/2018, 02:35 PM
I've built a few stands (not all my life like windlasher) and consider myself an amateur wood worker. The only time I felt 2x4's were a pain was when my brother and I built a stand for his 135g tank. It got a little heavy then but I've built two 4ft tank stands now and they are not that bad.

Like windlasher said for the security and peace of mind I prefer to go with the extra support.

Perhaps just use the 2x4's for the vertical support and connect with 1x's?

oldhead
02/10/2018, 02:53 PM
I'd consider 3/4 plywood, pocket hole screws and glue, corner braces just because. If you use a nice piece of ply (think WoodCraft) you can have it any one of several species (Oak, Cherry, etc) If you plan on painting, I'd use the pre-primed ply from Lowes - it is made with 10 thin layers making for a stronger structure than the run of the mill oak or birch ply commonly available that has only 5.

jm.02

This is what I used, I think I may have picked up maple. No 2x4's needed. Just 3/4" plywood with glue and screws. Used clear pine to trim it.

AiKkz
02/10/2018, 05:43 PM
use 2x4!

mcgyvr
02/11/2018, 08:27 AM
IMO asking if you can build a stand with 1x4s or 1x1s or 2x4s is pretty much useless..
One can build a stand with any/all of them.. Whats important is the actual design of the stand and how you intend to use said lumber..

So if you want a real answer show a drawing/sketch of how you intend to build it with said wood... Thats whats important..

ca1ore
02/11/2018, 09:45 AM
If you mean 1x4 as the legs without any plywood walls, the I'd be worried about them bending. As noted, design would be important.

davocean
02/11/2018, 09:52 AM
I agree, either materials mentioned can work fine as long as designed and joined properly, but 2x is more forgiving for the inexperienced or novice woodworker, and I also agree glue and screw everything.