PDA

View Full Version : Nuclear Green Palythoa Marking/Discoloration

Tennyson
02/11/2018, 12:02 AM
Hi all,
I've had these nuclear green palythoa for 2 years now. They continue to proliferate and seem "happy", so this is not urgent. However, I've noticed for awhile now that the oldest polyps (towards the center of the colony) have 2 types of markings on them - either bruised markings, or a light discontinuous ring around the mouth. Outer polyps are usually spared, but the same markings may be seen during the early stages.

Is this a normal sign of aging? Mineral/food deficiency? Will post water test results later.

1. Temp of tank - 81.5 F
2. All parameters including , Alk, PH, Ca, Mag - coming soon
3. Salinity - 1.022-1.027
4. Is it a frag, colony, new addition, wild caught or not, shipped or pick up?
Colony started from 2 polyp frag. Markings have persisted for at least 1 year.
5. Have you made any changes just prior to or during the issue?
None. Have done lugol's and hydrogen peroxide dip (on separate days) 1.5 years ago.
6. List the current/flow, even lighting when applicable.
Moderate/High current, top of tank, 165Lightimetunnel dimmable LED
7. Additives
Instant ocean sea salt, occasionally dose Iron (Fergon DIY method)

Thanks,
Stephen

Reef Junkie
02/11/2018, 11:49 AM
I see the ring you’re talking about, but do not see anything wrong with the colony.
In fact, they look super healthy and happy.

It could be an age ring or it’s not unusual for Your colony to form specific coloration and patterns specific to your tank.

Unless the colony is receding or not opening, I would leave well enough alone.

Of course, it could also be that you’re burning a hole into the center of your polyps by staring at them so much... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZOAKEEPER
02/17/2018, 05:44 PM
And remember, nothing lives forever. As some areas may die off a colony will grow larger and survive. They look great.