PDA

View Full Version : Not The growth that I would have hoped

Jedi4lif
02/13/2018, 02:52 PM
Hello all,
I'm looking for some ideas. I have several different corals in my DT that I got as frags.
3 different zoas and an open brain.

I have a 75g, with 60lbs of live rock. (2) 65g canister filters and a reef octopus 100 hob skimmer. No Sump

Marine orbitz led and a fluvel marine LED light strip. Orbitz runs at a ramp up and down of 30 mins each and 8hrs of white/blue. The fluvel strip runs 3 hrs mid day and shuts off.

My stock is a fox face, sailfin tang. Flame angel coral beauty, engineer goby and 3 fire fish gobys. 2 cleaner shrimp and a clean up crew.

My question is, that I have had these corals for months with little to no growth. I have tried moving up and down on the reef and I think that I have found the best stpots as they are all open and look good, but they don't off shoot new polyps or grow.

I test mt water 2-3 weekly. Water is perfect. Including calcium and alkalinity.
I have used reef fusion for last couple of months without results. I direct feed them reef chili 2-3 times a week.

So ideas about what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks for the help.

lionfish300
02/13/2018, 07:49 PM
If your corals are open and happy I would let it be. Just be patience. Keep an eye out for the sail fin tang 75 gal. is a bit small for this guy .

DesertReefT4r
02/13/2018, 08:50 PM
What are your water test results? Your lighting imo is no good for corals. The Marine Orbit is more for fish only not a reef tank, even the Pro version is just barely enough for soft corals and some lps. If you want a reef tank I would look into upgrading the lighting. T5 and MH have been tried and true for many years and imo are still the best for reef tanks. There are also many quality reef LED lights out there and you need to spend the money on a good led or it wont performa well for high light demanding corals. AI, Ecotech Marine, Orphek, Kessil, Maxspec, Giesemann are amoung the best quality, Reefbreeders are great if on a budget but not too much less than some others listed and Mars Aqua are cheap and proven to grow any corals. Alao keep in mind the corals you listed do grow slowly.

thegrun
02/13/2018, 10:53 PM
Lighting seems low for corals and keep a very close eye on the two angels, both will nip or even eat corals. Beyond coral growth I suspect you are going to have issues with the two angels and the Sailfin, all three need bigger tanks.

alton
02/14/2018, 05:50 AM
Try running both lights at 100% for 8 to 10 hours

Bent
02/14/2018, 07:46 AM
Hello all,
I'm looking for some ideas. I have several different corals in my DT that I got as frags.
3 different zoas and an open brain.

I have a 75g, with 60lbs of live rock. (2) 65g canister filters What are you using these for?and a reef octopus 100 hob skimmer. No Sump

Marine orbitz led and a fluvel marine LED light strip. Orbitz runs at a ramp up and down of 30 mins each and 8hrs of white/blue. The fluvel strip runs 3 hrs mid day and shuts off. i think this is not enough light. I would run these max 8-10 hours a day and forget the ramp. Either that or invest in new lights.

My stock is a fox face way too big for a 75g, sailfin tangalso way too big for a 75g. Flame angel coral beautyeventually you will have a severe aggression issue with these two fish in that confined space, engineer gobybe aware that when these get full size they will become predatory on inverts. Also make sure your rock is not perched on top the sand bed. All of his digging can topple the rock. and 3 fire fish gobys. eventually these will dwindle themselves down to one. 2 cleaner shrimp and a clean up crew.

My question is, that I have had these corals for months with little to no growth. I have tried moving up and down on the reef and I think that I have found the best stpots as they are all open and look good, but they don't off shoot new polyps or grow.

I test mt water 2-3 weekly. Water is perfect. i can’t imagine your nitrate and phosphate levels are under control with the population you listed previously... Including calcium and alkalinity.
I have used reef fusion for last couple of months without results. I direct feed them reef chili 2-3 times a week.

So ideas about what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks for the help.