PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Tips: Aquascape design

Punchanello
02/13/2018, 11:49 PM
Hey All,

I'm very close to filling a 5x2x2 foot tank. I have some ideas but just as I was putting them down on paper I realised I have no idea how much rock I need, whether the scape I have in mind is practical or if it would even look good once it had coral on it.

My local LFS has some thick dry shelf rock in different sizes at a very good price. I was thinking of stacking it to build two reasonable size bommie type platforms supported by smaller stacked pieces of shelf. I am planning a mixed reef with sps corals eventually dominating the higher levels of the tank.

I'd be grateful for any do's and don'ts you might have. Tips or advice. For example, should I limit the height of the structure to account for growth at the top?

Shamous113
02/14/2018, 07:49 AM
In my 150 gal tank I used about 240 lbs of rock, I used a mix of tonga branch and self for one area and a mix of pukani and fiji that i got used and bleached and acid dipped. I would suggest dry fitting it out side of the tank, it makes it easier to work on. Ive been reading great reviews about the aquaforest Stone Fix for holding together bridges and funky shapes, I used reef safe epoxy sticks and acrylic rod.

BRS has some great videos on aquascaping (https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/series/view/aquascaping-aquarium-rock-series?video=31), and this thread "Tips and Tricks on Creating Amazing Aquascapes" (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2217633) was an amazing resource until photobucket killed it.

Bent
02/14/2018, 07:57 AM
Man photobuckets big cash grab wrecked so many good threads on so many forums. Screw them I took every single photo off.

lapin
02/14/2018, 08:06 AM
Hey All,

I'm very close to filling a 5x2x2 foot tank. I have some ideas but just as I was putting them down on paper I realised I have no idea how much rock I need, whether the scape I have in mind is practical or if it would even look good once it had coral on it.

My local LFS has some thick dry shelf rock in different sizes at a very good price. I was thinking of stacking it to build two reasonable size bommie type platforms supported by smaller stacked pieces of shelf. Flat is good for mounting frags. Be sure to drill some holes for plugs while the rock is dry.I am planning a mixed reef with sps corals eventually dominating the higher levels of the tank.

I'd be grateful for any do's and don'ts you might have. Tips or advice. For example, should I limit the height of the structure to account for growth at the top? Yes, they will grow upwards and outwards

You might read some articles on the "rule of thirds" as it applies to aquascaping fresh and saltwater aquariums.

soflo_chuck
02/14/2018, 08:11 AM
1/2inch acrylic rods will make your ideas come to life a lot easier :)

Punchanello
02/14/2018, 09:54 PM
Man photobuckets big cash grab wrecked so many good threads on so many forums. Screw them I took every single photo off.

That's what I was finding when I looked. A real shame.

Punchanello
02/14/2018, 09:57 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone.

ramseynb
02/14/2018, 10:12 PM
One thing that I've learned is I spend a lot of time thinking about the rock work and I should have spent more time thinking about places for coral, what type of coral I wanted, how it would grow and fill in the tank, etc. Now, I aquascape more for creating hiding spaces for fish , having enough rock to place the corals I want, but not so much that things quickly look like a can of sardines. For example, my latest build is going to feature mostly SPS (acros with a couple of montis half way up) with a few LPS down at the bottom, so I left plenty of room for things to grow up towards the top and grow out towards the front of the tank.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, aquascape for your tank in two years, and not two weeks.