PDA

View Full Version : Will GFO harden if I turn off flow for a few days?

civics14
02/14/2018, 07:28 AM
The GFO is fairly new and I don't want to trash it, but I want to turn off the flow for a few days to try to get phosphates level up a bit. Will this cause the GFO to harden and go to waste?

lighthouze08
02/14/2018, 08:21 AM
The GFO is fairly new and I don't want to trash it, but I want to turn off the flow for a few days to try to get phosphates level up a bit. Will this cause the GFO to harden and go to waste?

it wouldn't harden but i wouldn't want stagnant water in the reactor. Why not just slow down the flow through the reactor

mcgyvr
02/14/2018, 08:36 AM
You want to raise phosphates but you are running GFO?
I don't get it..
Why are you running GFO if you have low phosphates?

GFO is used to treat a phosphate problem and IMO is a last resort option..
If you don't have a phosphate problem you don't run GFO..

Most often phosphate issues are caused by overfeeding..

civics14
02/14/2018, 08:42 AM
I had phosphate problems, its no longer a problem.... hence why I want to take the GFO offline for a bit to get it back up.

I'll go with slowing down the flow.

Pet Detective
02/14/2018, 05:55 PM
I had phosphate problems, its no longer a problem.... hence why I want to take the GFO offline for a bit to get it back up.

I would remove it and just let it dry out, I regenerate my GFO all the time with sodium Hydroxide [Lye] after the treatment I rinse with RO water and let it dry out before reusing, so you should be fine pulling it offline and then using it again after it dries out.

civics14
02/14/2018, 08:25 PM
I would remove it and just let it dry out, I regenerate my GFO all the time with sodium Hydroxide [Lye] after the treatment I rinse with RO water and let it dry out before reusing, so you should be fine pulling it offline and then using it again after it dries out.

Thanks, I never thought of this

outssider
02/15/2018, 05:24 PM

If you do a little research, you will learn that the lower the flow the more efficient it becomes.

Vinny Kreyling
02/15/2018, 05:38 PM
To a certain point.
I have watched my reading go down after pushing the flow to move the GFO around in the reactor.