PDA

View Full Version : Most accurate way to read Nitrate, Phosphate, etc?

Chocobo
02/14/2018, 10:18 AM
I was looking at the Hanna checkers because looking at a colored strip and trying to determine where it falls on the color scale is ... not so easy.

I don't mind spending a bit of $$$ for accurate testing that is repeatable and easy to read. I'm trying to remove some of the 'human error' from it.

I'm hoping to get an Apex system and will be looking at Trident for Alk/Cal/Mag but I would like to keep an eye on Nitrate, Phosphate and anything else that, if left unchecked, could cause major problems in a hurry.

RCS82
02/14/2018, 10:25 AM
Can't go wrong with the Hanna checker for phosphates, just get the ultra low range one. I think it's actually phosphorus. I can't remember now, I just test mine, do the math and it works great.
For nitrates I've been using the salifert kit and it works real easy. Can look through the side of the vial for low range results if needed.

mako61
02/14/2018, 11:10 AM
I like the Hanna ULR Phosphorus checker for phosphate. You need to take care when using it to get good results. There are some posts on here with the steps. Its not hard, but a little care helps consistency.

I use the RedSea for nitrate, no issues with it.

here is a comparison.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2538789

Randy Holms-Farley also has a shootout on another forum. FYI - I believe pretty much everything he says.

HBtank
02/14/2018, 11:41 AM
I like Salifert or Nyos for nitrate. Salifert in general is a good bet for non electronic tests in simplicity and ease of reading.

For checkers, Hanna for alkalinity and phosphate. Not quite so sure when it comes to other checkers on how easy or accurate they are.

Zalick
02/14/2018, 11:56 AM
I was looking at the Hanna checkers because looking at a colored strip and trying to determine where it falls on the color scale is ... not so easy.

I don't mind spending a bit of $$$ for accurate testing that is repeatable and easy to read. I'm trying to remove some of the 'human error' from it.

I'm hoping to get an Apex system and will be looking at Trident for Alk/Cal/Mag but I would like to keep an eye on Nitrate, Phosphate and anything else that, if left unchecked, could cause major problems in a hurry.

I use Hanna Phosphorus ULR. But the better check, IMO, is my algae in the tank. :)

mcgyvr
02/14/2018, 12:05 PM
I personally found Nyos to be the best/easiest nitrate kit as far as readability..
Very clear graduations between differing colors..

Salifert is the worst to me.. Its very difficult as its all just "pink"...

Red sea was my #2..

Hanna does not make a Checker for nitrate (in saltwater)

FoxFace Fish
02/14/2018, 01:43 PM
lol I am color blind test kits mess me up