PDA

View Full Version : Controllers

AnnaCassandra
02/14/2018, 02:41 PM
I'm considering buying a controller but I'm finding it hard to find a "buyers guide" of sorts, a lot of the information out there is specific to certain components or modules. I understand they are designed to be customized to the needs of each system and are by their very nature complex but how do I get started? How do I choose a brand and what can and can't a controller do?

At the moment I'm battling with stability, I can't seem to keep my alk stable (seems to want to dive to around 6.5dkH so I've been trying to test and dose more frequently to keep it around 8dkH) though calcium seems to be more stable at 380-400 so I've been trying to keep it closer to 400. I'm having a fit of a time battling cyano- and nearing the point where I order chemiclean and be done with it, but I feel like if I can get things stable then I can beat the cyano without chemicals.

Can you monitor alkalinity with a controller?

Vinny Kreyling
02/14/2018, 05:15 PM
There are new Alkalinity controllers on on the market now but expensive.
Testing is what you need to do to figure your usage so you know how much to dose.
Unless you have a large tank with plenty of corals 2 part is the way to go.
Controllers are use to monitor PH & ORP mainly & then equipment cycles if needed.

jda
02/14/2018, 06:32 PM
Controller is just at complicated timer that will monitor some stuff. The probes are not good enough that I would consider taking any action off of them, other than alerting.

A good 2-part system, or a Calcium Reactor will keep your alk, calcium (and maybe more with a CaRx) rock solid. I only test for alk about every week and sometimes less.

Cheapreef
02/14/2018, 07:03 PM
A fellow Edmontonian. :)
You wont get what you want from a controller, they are very useful for various reasons but keeping Alk and Calcium in check is not one of them at this point.
You want a doser and 2 part or as jda said a Calcium Reactor.

mako61
02/14/2018, 07:55 PM
I would also recommend an ATO if you dont have one and a doser/cal reactor. I have a controller and love it, but it mostly for turning things on and off and alerting if something needs attention. I dose 2-part -- an ATO + Doser is a great daily maintenance reducer and helps stability.

DesertReefT4r
02/14/2018, 09:17 PM
I had a RKL and it did everything I needed it to and some for my 75g reef. It made electrical much simpler, controlled temp, shut down kalk top off if ph increased too high, ran lights and powerheads. If you want the best and want the controll to take over all function of the tank then get an Apex. Their controllers, phone app and extra support upgrades are unmatched. If you want something very basic a RKL will do just fine and can do nearly all the RKE can. If uou want a middle ground get a RKE. All 3 of these controllers have extra modules you can get to increase their capabilities.
I second rhe ATO. you can get an independent unit or use the controller to do it, just add floats and pump and profram controller. I recommend dosing kalk in the ato water it a very simplw way to keep ca and alk stable once it dialed in and its cheap.

AnnaCassandra
02/15/2018, 02:24 PM
I have an ATO and I've started adding kalk to it but I guess I'm still having trouble dialing it in- I don't know if I'm adding too much or not enough but my alk keeps diving, and while my calcium isn't really diving I'm still having trouble keeping it above 400.

Let's say I wanted a controller for Temp, and maybe pH, that down the road would have the ability to control a couple of gyres, lights and a dosing pump is APEX my only choice or are there others out there? Am I missing out on a key functionality of a controller that I should be considering?

jacksonpt
02/15/2018, 02:42 PM
Controllers are great, but they aren't miracles workers. Simply timing outlets is easy... but you still have to figure out/know how much of what additives you need to does. The controller isn't going to be able to keep alk steady for you - it's only going to turn on/off your alk dosing pump based on your timing... which means you have to know both how much your tank needs AND how long it takes to dose that much.

If you're still struggling with alk, you need to be more consistent with your dosing and your testing, at least until you figure out how quickly it is depleted from your tank and how much you have to add over what period of time to compensate.

To your other questions...
- Temp is easy.
- Lights are easy.
- Dosing pumps are easy (assuming you know how much to dose).
- I don't know about Gyres... you'll have to check with the controller to see if they can work with those pumps.

I have an Apex and it can do everything you're talking about.

Cheapreef
02/15/2018, 03:05 PM
I have an ATO and I've started adding kalk to it but I guess I'm still having trouble dialing it in- I don't know if I'm adding too much or not enough but my alk keeps diving, and while my calcium isn't really diving I'm still having trouble keeping it above 400.

Let's say I wanted a controller for Temp, and maybe pH, that down the road would have the ability to control a couple of gyres, lights and a dosing pump is APEX my only choice or are there others out there? Am I missing out on a key functionality of a controller that I should be considering?

No you can go with GHL as well, but the only controllers you can get in town woudl be Apex. Aquarium Illusions carries Apex and all the accesories.
https://www.aquariumillusions.com/equipment/controllers/neptune/
If you fine with online purchase and dealing with any issues for warrenty issues etc then Big Show Frags carries GHL. http://bigshowfrags.com/dry-goods/controllers/

Mknuwet
02/16/2018, 07:10 AM
I just run an Alex for redundancy. I’m a tech idiot. So controlling too much stuff would lead into problems for me. My apex controls my CaRx CO2, my heater, and my tunzeATO. Some other things are on there but just because there were extra outlets

jocca
02/16/2018, 07:45 AM
How large is your tank? Do you have a sump? Calcium reactors and/or kalkwasser (if done correctly) should solve this problem. A controller in general is a good idea but not specifically for this problem. I’ve always used Neptune’s Apex and recommend them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk