PDA

View Full Version : Coral ID and possible pest ID please

LtDster
02/14/2018, 02:52 PM
Can I get the proper names and common names for these 2 corals, also have a question about my Chalice....its been growing at a nice pace but in the ast few days it started to show some white spots in the middle, is this something to be worried about. And lastly what is this spiney looking creature is he a friend or foe?

AlSimmons
02/14/2018, 03:01 PM
That little spiny creature you referred to looks like a Sea Cucumber of some sort. (Tiger-Tail?) As far as those corals go I think the first one is a Goniopora and the second one might be a Montipora capricornis. Those white spots your seeing on the second coral could be due to a Montipora-Eating Nudibranch, which is not a good thing. The link below might help. GL.

http://blog.captive-aquatics.com/captive_aquatics/2010/09/a-montipora-eating-nudibranch-primer.html

Anemone
02/14/2018, 06:15 PM
The first coral looks like a chunk of Goniopora. I agree with the cucumber ID, and I have to ask about your chalice - does it have a fleshy skin, or is it pretty hard? If hard, I agree with it being a Monti cap, but it looks like it has polyp "bumps," which could indicate it's not a monti. And yes, I'd worry about the white spots. What kind of circulation is it getting? How long have you had it. What's your lighting?

Kevin

ramseynb
02/14/2018, 10:36 PM
That last picture looks like a red cap monti to me. The first is a goniopora but I'm not sure on the second. If you can take more of a top-down picture, that might help, but it looks kinda like a leptastrea to me. Again though, it's hard to tell from the picture.