PDA

View Full Version : Return pump issue

Valentini89
02/14/2018, 10:39 PM
My return pump doesn't fit down into the return chamber of the sump. It has to sit down at an angle. I didn't know this when I bought the pump and sump from my LFS, obviously. I suppose I should have checked it but if I unscrew the return pump's plastic filter, it will fit down flush against the bottom of the sump. So my question is, does the return pump have to have the filter on or not? Those are pretty large holes in the filter anyway.. do I need to return that sump and get the next step up?

mcgyvr
02/15/2018, 05:50 AM
It would help to state the specific pump you are using but many have a grate on the end and its a smart idea to keep it on to block large particles from entering and destroying/blocking the pump blades..

outssider
02/15/2018, 06:05 PM
I've never even put the strainer on mine, I've always run a sock though.....nothing alive or any particles down there.

Valentini89
02/15/2018, 06:29 PM
I've never even put the strainer on mine, I've always run a sock though.....nothing alive or any particles down there.

So technically it isn't necessary. That's nice to know. I will be running a sock so I'm confident nothing will affect the pump if I run it w/o the screen. Only thing will be some live rock in the sump and that's not going anywhere anyway. :-). And it's a Jecod pump

Valentini89
02/16/2018, 07:35 PM
Is there any reason I shouldn't or can't put my return pump (jecod 9000) in the same sump section as my skimmer? It would allow plenty of room for the pump as the section meant for the return pump is very small and the pump barely wedges in there with the particle screen off.

IdahoCindy
02/16/2018, 07:41 PM
My return pump lies very close to my skimmer with no issues.

Breadman03
02/16/2018, 11:55 PM
Is there any reason I shouldn't or can't put my return pump (jecod 9000) in the same sump section as my skimmer? It would allow plenty of room for the pump as the section meant for the return pump is very small and the pump barely wedges in there with the particle screen off.

The negative to that is skimmers can be very sensitive to fluctuations in water height and the chamber where your return pump is located is where your evaporation will effect the water level.